Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > 1987-1993 Special Service Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

1987-1993 Special Service Mustangs The aero cars.

Old 02-04-2008, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangretriever View Post
Wow, that's looking good! I saw that car sitting behind Hawkins house about 2 years ago and remember thinking it was a heap.
It was a heap. LOL Everything that was left on the car ended up being worn out or broke. When I got it together enough to see if the engine would crank, I turned the key on and all the fuel pump would do is growl. So I pulled the tank and the baffle was broke loose inside so I had to replace tank and all. The wiper motor sounded about the same. Steering rack was shot. Naturally the hinge pins & bushings. The only part of the drivetrain that was original was the engine, the trans was gone, rearend was just hung in there so it could be rolled around. Lots and lots of work but I knew that going into it. If I didn't have 34 parts cars I wouldn't have bought it. It has alot of roof dents. It's still going to take alot of work to make it look decent. I plan on doing the body next winter. My 88 FHP has become strictly a show car and I miss not driving it daily. My 86 CHP is going to be a show car also so that left me without one to drive on a daily basis. Because of the frame damage this car would never be a premium car. That and the fact that I've never seen the bottom of a car so beat up. It looks like it was driven through the median on a daily basis without the aid of a road. But I've had fun so far and plan on having fun with it for years to come. Doug
Old 02-04-2008, 08:09 PM

Great job on getting that thing back together. I would consider you near hero status for pulling that one off. That car looks like it was about ready for the crusher untill you came along. Good for you!

By the way what agency is that car from?
Old 02-04-2008, 09:04 PM

Thanks for the compliment. It's a CHP car. When Don picked it up it was in Los Angeles. Still had the California plates on it. If Don wouldn't have picked it up it would have been crushed I'm sure. From the paper work I got with the car, including a good CA. title, it had been sold several times with a bill of sale. I imagine each person stripped the car a little more until there wasn't much left. It's going to be a fun ride. Doug
Old 02-04-2008, 10:05 PM

I think Don is down to only 1 SSP now, an 88 MO car, he had at least 10 at one point. Actually I guess it was 3 years ago when I saw this car, back when I picked up my 89 from him. I walked over to it to see if there was anything else worth stripping! When did you buy this from him?

Good save for sure!

1989 Missouri State Highway Patrol SSP Mustang - P294

www.fotki.com/mustangretriever
Old 02-05-2008, 10:13 AM

I bought it from him early last year, around April. I paid him for it right away and told him I wouldn't be able to pick it up for awhile. Little did I know it wouldn't be till fall till I could pick it up. He called me and said he had sold his house and that he had 2 weeks to have everything out so I went down then and picked it up. If I would have had the money I would have picked up the other SSP he had there. It was a Frisco Texas car. I picked up some other parts while I was there and again wished I had more money so I could have bought more. Seemed like a very nice guy, good to deal with. Sure wouldn't want to live up there in the winter when it snows!! Missouri sure is a beautiful state. Gas was 40 cents a gallon cheaper than up here at that time too. It was a fun trip for my wife and me. Doug
Old 02-05-2008, 11:49 AM

I like MO, never say never, but I'll never move from here! I'm pretty sure gas in the St. Louis area is the cheapest of anywhere in the nation too.

1989 Missouri State Highway Patrol SSP Mustang - P294

www.fotki.com/mustangretriever