Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Special Service Mustang Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Special Service Mustang Tech Any and all technical questions for SSP cars.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:37 AM

While waiting for the Marti Reports to confirm the 32-car batch containing the 1986 FBI car, along with reports for TxDPS (from 1983, 1984, and 1986) and FHP (1988), I thought I would post up a recent addition. Here is the page on a 1989 government/GSA Mustang -

http://www.specialservicemustang.net...info283823.htm

This is the 3rd GSA SSP to turn up in that batch of 138 cars, which also contains a likely OSP Mustang at the beginning.

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 03-13-2013, 10:27 AM
VIN guru

Re: KF283705 being a likely OSP....other known OSPs went through the same dealer. (74C017 = Damerow Beaverton Ford).
Old 03-15-2013, 10:53 AM
28HopUp
This message has been deleted by 28HopUp. Reason: too difficult to simply edit...
Old 03-15-2013, 06:43 PM

Great work. I'm learning as I keep up with the VIN project reading, so I only pose this question to better educate myself. When you refer to a VIN range, can it be said for certain cars in that range are SSPs? Or is this just merely one more "check list item", or an "SSP confimation method" if you will, that folks can use as they try and verify cars believed as SSPs and maybe missing door sticker, buck tags, etc.? Thanks for helping educate me on this one.

1992 Michigan State Police SSP Mustang #5114
1993 Wisconsin State Patrol SSP Mustang
1993 Missouri State Highway Patrol SSP Mustang P641

http://members.fotki.com/MOstang/
Old 03-15-2013, 07:43 PM

Mike, I hope that I am understanding your question as I type my reply. The rationale behind using AutoCheck (or other online methods) to confirm SSPs is flawed. Or perhaps a better word would be "imperfect". Let me explain.

If we look at the 1982 CHP notchbacks, we know with certainty the SSPs that are part of that VIN range. Using Marti Reports, we have confirmed the first and last VINs that were assigned in that DSO. We have verified the 1982 SSP notchbacks using photos and the California smog database. We can use AutoCheck reports to help document those remaining cars whose VINs are not activated because we are 100% certain the CHP ordered and used these cars.

But what about other batches with confirmed SSPs? On many of the FHP cars, we were able to confirm VINs as SSPs through pictures, auction paperwork, and Florida's DMV website. However, there are instances where we found DMV information for cars in the same batch that were not sandwiched between confirmed SSPs, and we haven't confirmed the DSO to match it to the FHP. Those SSPs are listed as "unconfirmed", in terms of agency use.

We all know of those 1988 SSPs which were extra cars not used by the OSP, with most of the N-I-S cars being sold to Saleen for conversion. If we order Marti Reports, we could establish a VIN range and use AutoCheck to confirm the ones in-between as SSPs. But which ones were used by the OSP, and which ones were not? It's not clear. Yes, they are all SSPs, but we cannot ID how they were used.

Then there's some of the 1993 South Carolina SSPs like this one...

http://www.specialservicemustang.net...info210439.htm

...which were ordered but never put into service. Yes, we are able to ID this car as Never-In-Service, but we cannot ID the rest of the cars in the batch (in terms of use), even if we confirm the beginning and ending VINs in the DSO.

Does that answer your question?

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 03-15-2013, 08:48 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOstang View Post
Great work. I'm learning as I keep up with the VIN project reading, so I only pose this question to better educate myself. When you refer to a VIN range, can it be said for certain cars in that range are SSPs? Or is this just merely one more "check list item", or an "SSP confimation method" if you will, that folks can use as they try and verify cars believed as SSPs and maybe missing door sticker, buck tags, etc.? Thanks for helping educate me on this one.
Mike,

To follow-up on what Bill said:

We know, from auction records, that the SSPs were batch-produced with consecutive VIN numbers assigned to the order (DSO). So if agency "X" ordered 10 Mustangs, they would have been assigned (usually) consecutive VINs, ie. 100001 through 100009 (last 6). In this example, if we have a confirmed SSP with the VIN 100005, and the list of consecutive VINs around 0005 only shows a block of 10, it's a pretty safe bet that we've identified the other 9. Conversely, the list might show more than 10 grouped together, which then requires more work to determine where the 10 fall, ie. a group of 40 consecutive VINS, where Agency "X" ordered 10, Agency "Y" ordered 25, and Agency "Z" ordered 5.

Does that help?

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363
Old 03-16-2013, 10:31 AM

Bill and Mike - Thanks for your posts...you've both done a great job of understanding my questions and to help clarify and educate me on this aspect of the project. The SSP VIN project is great for the hobby and an interesting journey. The detective work that has occurred and is ongoing is very interesting to watch take place. I know many have contributed from the SSP community and we will all benefit form the hard work, so that's great as well. I appreciate everyone's efforts...it is hard work, but a labor of love I'm sure.

Old 03-17-2013, 05:18 PM
Admin

Here is an '87 FBI car that some of you might remember from the movie "Silence of the Lambs". We've talked about this one before, but for those that weren't around back then, this car was wrecked during a test at the FBI academy. It is also NOT an SSP, just a DSO 83 car. What was left of the car was crushed back in 2008.

Our VIN registry did not originally show this one in a consecutive batch, just sandwiched in the middle of two other batches. This is probably because there are no Carfax records that exist for this one; it was sold to GSA and never made it out of the agency. Also, most GSA cars aren't technically titled until their first sale at auction. So, this is a minor glitch in our project that only affects a select few cars.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7fbi.jpg (91.8 KB, 73 views)

Mike

'83 Texas DPS
Old 03-17-2013, 07:10 PM

Hi Mike - What were the circumstances around when that picture was taken. Given the rust it would seem it was some years later. Thanks.

Old 03-17-2013, 07:59 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOstang View Post
Hi Mike - What were the circumstances around when that picture was taken. Given the rust it would seem it was some years later. Thanks.
It was....I took the pic in 2005.

Mike

'83 Texas DPS
Old 03-17-2013, 08:14 PM
VIN guru

That's a cool pic, and an interesting back-story. Thanks for posting Mike!