Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Members' SSPs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Members' SSPs A place to post up pics of your SSP, whether restored, in-progress, or somewhere in-between.

Old 08-29-2012, 05:02 PM

Thanks guys! I doubt the excitement will ever go away! I will keep posting pics as I progress with the car. I got lucky there is no rust on the car. The undercarriage has some surface rust but incredibly solid. This will be fun!
Old 08-29-2012, 05:48 PM
It is what it is.

Looks like a great project! Congrats on the find.

1990 NMSP Unit 130 SOLD
1989 WSP SOLD
1988 FHP SOLD
1991 FHP SOLD
1993 TX DPS
Old 08-30-2012, 01:25 AM

Vince, congrats and thanks for picking this CHP notch up. I'm glad to see it got a good home!

John, you confused my name with Vince 'cause I posted the original thread on the craiglist ad for this car.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:30 PM

Talking

Just came back from DMV. They told me they could not give me a print out of the cars history so I could find out the unit number. I cannot find it on the car yet. Any ideas how I can go about finding out the unit #? $769 in back fees but Im thinking its worth it
Old 08-30-2012, 05:06 PM

I'm not surprised to hear that the folks at DMV were unable to get you the information. I suggest that you read the following thread...

http://www.specialservicemustang.net...ead.php?t=2676

...and follow the instructions to get the form to request the Registration History on your car's VIN. The people at the coutner probably do not know the procedure to get that information.

Good luck, and let us know how you make out.

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 09-29-2012, 10:26 AM

Vince, do you have any updates on your 85 CHP?

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 10-22-2012, 03:24 PM

Update on my 1985 CHP Dream Car: After finding out I owed almost $1,000 in back fees for registration, the woman at the DMV was kind enough to knock off a few dollars so I got away with paying only $661. A small savings but every penny counts. I then had the original carb rebuilt, lines and gas tank checked for rust (none), fresh brakes all the way around, new belts, dyno tuned, new wires, plugs, cap/rotor, and now it runs like a new car!!! Smooth shifts, easy clutch, nice brakes, and smooth idling. Next step is freshening up the suspension. I may upgrade the rear end to an 8.8 still thinking about that. The original steelies are back from powdercoating but I will wait to put those on until after a fresh coat of paint/body work. For now, it is rolling on 93 pony wheels. After the suspension I will tackle the new exhaust front to back. Not sure if I want a true dual exhaust or stick with the single pipe cutting into two pipes out the rear. Anyone have ideas or thoughts on the dual exhaust and upgrading to an 8.8 rear? I am dying to get this car restored, but driving it daily now to work and collecting all the restoration parts such as for the interior is a great experience in the meantime!! I will post pics tomorrow...
Old 10-22-2012, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28HopUp View Post
Vince, do you have any updates on your 85 CHP?
I have updated my dream car - CHP - above - more to come!
Old 12-19-2012, 06:07 PM

Default 1985 CHP Dream Car Continued

Hello everyone, I am in my fifth month of owning my 1985 SSP/CHP that I found in a field filled with weeds, rotted tires, some surface rust, and faded interior. I have since rebuilt the carb, installed new brakes, radiator, tune up, fresh fluids, entire suspension, and general get up and go maintenance. Up until yesterday, this was my daily driver as I searched for stock parts and scoured ads for anything CHP/SSP related. Last night, I turned in my beloved CHP to my friend Mike, who will tear out that motor with 128K original carfaxed miles, disassemble it, fix anything that may be wrong inside (doubt it because it runs stronger than any 85 ive driven) and regasket the entire motor, paint/detail it, and pressure wash/steam clean the entire undercarriage. The only thing left will be to get it to the paint booth and massage out any dents (minimal), sand down that surface rust, and apply a fresh coat of black paint. I will then put back the original steelies with fresh meaty tires and restore that interior. Pics to come. This has been the most exciting car I have ever owned and even driven and I have owned an 03 COBRA with a kenne bell, various saleens, a 93 COBRA, and the list goes on. My thanks to everyone here whose posted pics and kept me motivated. I am almost there!! I cant believe its happend so fast!
Old 12-19-2012, 06:59 PM
Resident Geezer

Just a thought for you to consider on the engine. This would be the time to replace the timing chain and gears. You might also want to take a close look at the harmonic balancer. They are notorious for worn rubber between the outer and inner rings. Replace it - cheap insurance to keep it running for a long time.

Good luck and enjoy it!

'89 FHP Unit # 435 (Deceased)
'89 FHP Unit # 1526 Troop H (Madison)SOLD 12/3/13
'89 SCHP Marked Unit # 2-12-80 SOLD 6/21/15
'88 SCHP Unmarked Unit # 2-12-23 SOLD 9/3/12
'90 MSHP Marked Unit # P-162 Plate # 642-HP SOLD 12/17/11
'88 MSHP Marked Unit # P-162 Plate # 642