Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Special Service Mustang Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Special Service Mustang Tech Any and all technical questions for SSP cars.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:26 AM

Default VIN project

I sent Bill my marti report so it can be added.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:19 AM

I am back in business in terms of setting up the new laptop for FTP access to the site. Here are a few notable mentions for new/revised pages:

That's just a short list of recent changes. There were also a number of cars REMOVED from the Project. After a few days of discussion, we decided that some of the documentation being used for certain cars was not really a sufficient form of verification for our Project. For instance, the Texas DMV pages only confirmed that a car had been titled in Texas, but the information did not confirm prior police history, agency use, or confirmation that the car was equipped with the SSP option (despite being sandwiched in-between other documented SSPs). So those pages were pulled. We also went through and removed the pages with AutoCheck paperwork. Although some pages indicated prior police use, the AC information did not meet our collective standards for inclusion in the Project.

Ongoing, we will concentrate on documenting suspected VIN ranges with Marti Reports (there are a bunch of FHPs that fall into this category), without worrying about trying to fill in the blanks for cars in-between. We will also be taking a critical eye towards other cars to make sure the information is reliable, and that wording is consistent. This way, the Project will be a credible resource for those looking to confirm SSPs in the future.

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 05-29-2013, 02:37 PM

Default More Cars Removed From Project!

In an effort to put out quality information, we took a critical look at some of the CHP Mustangs in the Project. In particular, we gave a lot of thought to cars which were verified only with CA Smog Site information (without any matches to e-plate numbers). It was a similar situation to the cars we removed this week with only Texas DMV information. These CHP cars had no documentation about prior police history, agency use, or the SSP option, so we removed their links in the Project. With all of the recent changes to the Project this week, the final result by year is as follows:

1982 . . 22 SSPs
1983 . . 34
1984 . . 70
1985 . .246
1986 . .127
1987 . .388
1988 . .255
1989 . .427
1990 . .269
1991 . .147
1992 . .190
1993 . .377
-----------
. . . 2,542 SSPs Total in Project

We will continue to add SSPs to the Project when we can document them as such. As always, THANK YOU to everyone who has contributed to the effort here.

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 05-29-2013, 10:56 PM

The Texas cars would not show Police use on the Title. Just Texas Department of Public Safety. Plus they have purged files up to a certain year and the original info will be lost. I hope that the cars that are in the ranges of the VIN I provided will be noted as being Tx DPS cars when they are in between cars. I wasnt able to make al the Auction those years.

Tom
Old 05-30-2013, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1989 Tx DPS SSP View Post
The Texas cars would not show Police use on the Title. Just Texas Department of Public Safety. Plus they have purged files up to a certain year and the original info will be lost. I hope that the cars that are in the ranges of the VIN I provided will be noted as being Tx DPS cars when they are in between cars. I wasnt able to make al the Auction those years.
Tom, you bring up a good point. We are still considering how we want to handle those "in-between" cars which are part of a batch of VINs with documented SSPs at a starting and ending point (with the same DSO #). The special-paint cars no doubt were ordered/used by that particular agency, but some of the regularly painted SSPs may have been ordered by one agency but used by another, or perhaps were never used in-service (some of the OSP and SC cars are good examples of this latter situation). Those SSPs are tougher to confirm. So we are considering the best ways to identify these cars without over-reaching the documentation we presently have available. And we want to get everything decided beforehand so we do not need to make mass revisions later.

Old 05-31-2013, 02:57 PM

Doug sent in quite a few more pictures to help document his 1993 NCSHP car, as seen here:

http://www.specialservicemustang.net...info198380.htm

THANK YOU!
Old 06-01-2013, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1989 Tx DPS SSP View Post
I hope that the cars that are in the ranges of the VIN I provided will be noted as being Tx DPS cars when they are in between cars.
Here is the situation which caused us to re-evaluate how we publish information in our Project. Although those "in-between" cars are most likely SSP Mustangs, it is impossible to know for sure unless new documentation surfaces. For example, the 1984 CHPs (so far) all have the same DSO, but they are contained in two blocks of VINs which are separated by over 1,000 regular cars. Technically speaking, those 1K cars are "in-between" VINs since they are grouped between batches of confirmed SSPs with the same DSO. If we expand this, it means a civilian car could be part of a block of VINs where we have solid documentation which confirms a matching DSO for the first and last car in the batch. Below is an example of this situation with some 1991 TxDPS cars confirmed with auction records:

The link for that non-SSP goes to its Marti Report, which does not list the SSP option. For whatever reason, Ford built that red coupe inside a group of Texas DPS cars. We are sure there are plenty of other anomalies we haven't discovered yet. So unless there is some type of supporting documentation about an "in-between" car, then we cannot assume that it is part of that DSO.

Old 06-01-2013, 09:22 AM

Have you gotten Marti Reports on the 91 Tx cars? They should not be SSP's just LX Sports.

TOM
Old 06-01-2013, 09:46 AM

Tom, I have not yet gotten Marti Reports for those 91s, which was commented on earlier in this thread -

http://www.specialservicemustang.net...&postcount=371

I had ASSUMED those were SSPs (and we know what happens when I ASS-U-ME). Now you've got me wondering about quite a few things... We can fix those 91s in the Project if you are certain that they are LX Sport models. Do you know of any other instances where auction paperwork may be for a LX Mustang and not a SSP?

Old 06-01-2013, 10:58 AM

I just remember seeing the 16 inch wheels on them at the Auction. They could have a DSO attatched to them. They did not use them for patrol but DPS Undercover.

Tom