Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > 1982-1986 Special Service Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1982-1986 Special Service Mustangs The 4-eyed cars.

Old 12-16-2006, 03:33 PM

Default It is supposed to be 50 out so

I took 0366 for a jaunt over to the get fleeced while washing your own car wash and put about six miles on it. It seems to run better, the more I drive it, but there is still some off idle hesitation. I need to give it a little more gas than I'd like to when starting from a stop, but it is not bad, it could still be that I'm not used to the clutch. My trip included a quick run up the expressway and I have to say that second gear coming off the ramp with my foot in it put a smile on my face that hasn't been there in a long time.

Here are a couple of pics:

There are a pair of holes in the back seat, one on each side and marks in the carpet where something was mounted, right on the front of the vertical floor under the seat cushion. Anyone know what these could be from?

"You know, I think it was James Joyce who said that a genius makes no mistakes, that his errors are on purpose and they become the portholes of discovery, that's the kind of thing you say when you do something real stupid." Red Green
Old 12-16-2006, 05:06 PM
Admin

Good pics....glad to see them.

CHP mounted supplemental safety belts in the cars. My car still has them (check out the pic). I'm not sure when they started adding these or for how many years; I didn't see signs of them in the 1985 CHP I previously owned.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CHPseatbelts.jpg (48.7 KB, 96 views)

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363
Old 12-16-2006, 06:06 PM

Here's the inside:

That is kind of funny that they'd feel the need to supplement the seat belts that were engineered into the car and met national standards. It is kind of hard to believe that there would be enough structure down there to secure a seat belt to.

"You know, I think it was James Joyce who said that a genius makes no mistakes, that his errors are on purpose and they become the portholes of discovery, that's the kind of thing you say when you do something real stupid." Red Green
Old 12-16-2006, 06:11 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by litsnsirn View Post
That is kind of funny that they'd feel the need to supplement the seat belts that were engineered into the car and met national standards. It is kind of hard to believe that there would be enough structure down there to secure a seat belt to.
I agree....driver and passenger-side both. Were your seats redone? The color looks weird.

Mike

'83 Texas DPS
Old 12-16-2006, 09:32 PM

Kevin said that something was redone on the seats, I'm not sure what. Every piece of trim in that car has faded differently, even the ones made out of the same stuff, every one of the seat belts has faded to a different color.

Old 12-16-2006, 10:35 PM
Admin

Post up a close-up of the inserts if you can....I think it's the pattern on the material.

Mike

'83 Texas DPS
Old 12-17-2006, 10:08 AM

Here is the best I can do from one of the other pics I shot. I tightened up on the pattern as best I could, although, the strange thing is, is that the pattern doesn't strike me as looking like this in person.

Old 12-17-2006, 06:05 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by litsnsirn View Post
Here is the best I can do from one of the other pics I shot. I tightened up on the pattern as best I could, although, the strange thing is, is that the pattern doesn't strike me as looking like this in person.

That's probably what I was seeing. Here is a similiar shot of mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1727.JPG (103.9 KB, 80 views)

Mike

'83 Texas DPS
Old 12-17-2006, 08:57 PM

The seats were redone by the previous owner. As I told you, the seats were redone close to, but not exactly like the originals and MOST people probably wouldn't know the difference.The original fabric is available from SMS, which is what I used on my hatchback.

I've only seen those seatbelts on 82's. They've all had the holes from their installation but most are gone, probably removed by CHP upon sale. They are lap belts only, so I'm not sure of the legalities if CHP left them in. My guess is CHP found the shoulder belts a problem due to the Mustang's size.
Old 12-17-2006, 09:05 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
The seats were redone by the previous owner. As I told you, the seats were redone close to, but not exactly like the originals and MOST people probably wouldn't know the difference.The original fabric is available from SMS, which is what I used on my hatchback.

I've only seen those seatbelts on 82's. They've all had the holes from their installation but most are gone, probably removed by CHP upon sale. They are lap belts only, so I'm not sure of the legalities if CHP left them in. My guess is CHP found the shoulder belts a problem due to the Mustang's size.
Who was the "as I told you" directed at?

As far as the belts go...Jim Young's car also still has them, I believe (one of your old cars). Not sure if Mike Riley's had them or not (didn't that car come from you also?).

Mike

'83 Texas DPS