Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Special Service Mustangs For Sale
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Special Service Mustangs For Sale Any and all SSP Mustangs.

Old 04-28-2012, 10:27 AM

Default 1993 CHP on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-...item3375179563

Quote:
VIN: 1facp40e3pf189185

For better photos, go to: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/690/tmp3282.jpg/

Car history: This 1993 model is one of the last SSP Mustangs used by the California Highway Patrol. It was used in the Sacramento area and decommissioned in 1999 after it had about 100K miles. The first civilian owner kept the car until this year when he got too old to drive it. I bought it from his daughter, who had driven it down from Central California. Besides the police-specific equipment on the car (like the trunk release, oil cooler, certified 160-mph speedometer, etc), I can provide proof that this is a real SSP as the California title states "Prior Police."

Originality & condition: I'm a big Mustang and 5.0 enthusiast, and I've never come across an SSP car that is so original. Most have been badly modded or made into race cars. After this car was decommissioned, it was given a very quick, cheap paint job (I believe this was done by the CHP before being auctioned), the police equipment was removed, and a tape deck stereo was installed. The car has never been in an accident, has absolutely zero rust or bondo anywhere. It does have a bunch of little door dings here and there, but no big dents or other real damage. Although the pain job is really cheap--they didn't even tape everything off in the trunk as you can see--it looks good from a few feet away. All the body tags can still be seen under the paint. From talking to CHP officers that I work with (I'm a paramedic), these chase cars were never used for tough duty like pushing wrecked cars off the freeway because they didn't have push bars like the Crown Vic's. So basically the car has survived without any accident damage and with all it's original body panels and bumpers. The car has a really neat original look to it, and I would urge the new owner to keep it the way it is and not ruin it with a restoration.

By the way, in case you're wondering, the wheels are original--the last of the SSP cars came with these wheels and not the painted ones seen on the earlier SSP cars.

Interior: The original interior is in decent shape, though there are stains (coffee and donuts?!) in the seats and carpet. It has A/C, which works great, as well as the aftermarket tape deck (which I believe was installed by the CHP after they removed the police radio). As with all California Highway Patrol cars, the A/C was the only option fitted to these cars.

Mechanical: Of all the stock 5.0's I've owned, this one feels the fastest. Despite the 165,000 miles, it really feels really fast. The transmission shifts smoothly and the steering and suspension feel tight. Other than new tires, the car doesn't need anything. It was driven down from Central California without any problems by the previous owner's daughter just before I bought it.

Of the six 5.0 Mustangs that I've owned, this is the most unique and interesting one. I didn't want to sell it, but since my '89 LX didn't sell this week, I'm going to put this one for sale instead. I just have too many cars and want to downsize. Please contact me with any questions. Good luck!

The VIN is in a consecutive unit number batch of 161 cars, with other CHP cars contained within the same group of VINs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 93CHP189185.jpg (35.1 KB, 143 views)

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 04-28-2012, 10:49 PM
Addicted to CHPs/SSPs

Someone needs to snag that car. I would say that is one of the nicest/easiest to return to original 93 CHPs out there.

Sam-
1985 CHP #8337
CHP Motor Transport Mustangs
Old 04-29-2012, 09:51 PM

Wish that I could just trade mine for that one! Looks good.

'93 SSP
'90 LX 'vert - Sold
'87 LX hatch (parted out)
'88 LX 'vert (should have never)
'83 GL hatch (college car, long gone)
Old 04-29-2012, 11:24 PM
1985 CHP/NEV SSP'S

$5100 Reserve not met.
1985 California Highway Patrol #8336 Napa Ca office.

1985 Nevada Highway Patrol #30. Federal Test Car. Reno Nv office.

California Highway Patrol#8336 & Nevada Highway Patrol #30 Restoration Pictures.

http://public.fotki.com/CHP8336/
Old 05-06-2012, 02:43 AM

no bondo? is the seller forgetting about what closed the holes for the spot lights and intennas
Old 05-06-2012, 12:40 PM
Addicted to CHPs/SSPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93chipper View Post
no bondo? is the seller forgetting about what closed the holes for the spot lights and intennas
If it was sold at the Torrence Motor Transport, when the car was painted the spotlight holes were welded shut and the whip antenna hole was also filled in with metal. John10608's '92 was that way.

Sam-
1985 CHP #8337
CHP Motor Transport Mustangs
Old 05-09-2012, 12:49 PM

He should have taken the $5,100. Hope it finds a good home eventually.
1988 CHP #3035

http://public.fotki.com/Classicchp/