Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Members' SSPs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Members' SSPs A place to post up pics of your SSP, whether restored, in-progress, or somewhere in-between.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:30 PM

Thanks guys! It's a constant work-in-progress. I'll continue to update this thread with pictures as I make headway.

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 03-11-2011, 09:00 AM

Bill - What are the items you'd most like to do next with your SSP?

1992 Michigan State Police SSP Mustang #5114
1993 Wisconsin State Patrol SSP Mustang
1993 Missouri State Highway Patrol SSP Mustang P641

http://members.fotki.com/MOstang/
Old 03-11-2011, 12:25 PM

Thanks for asking Mike, 'cuz it made me update my SSP To-Do List.

Currently, the car is in the body shop after my neighbor backed into it. They agreed to pay for the repairs (it's great having cool neighbors!). I am having the body shop go over the paint to see if there are some areas needing to be touched up. I know it's not a show car, but I'd like for the body/paint to be as nice as reasonably possible.

Next up - correct wheels and caps. I have a set of four '85/'86 steel wheels in my garage with original Goodyear rubber. The tires would be better suited on a show car due to dry rot, so I will remove and keep the Goodyears, paint the wheels satin black (thanks Jim!), and remount my existing tires on the correct rims. I'm trying my darndest to get a set of correct '85 caps. I have a set of '86 caps, but only two are usable as-is. I have a line on two other sets of '85 caps (I'm high bidder currently on the ebay set). If worse comes to worse I will repair my two bad caps and repaint the set to look like '85 caps.

I'm a bit frustrated on my CHP equipment status. I have many authentic CHP pieces, but I've learned that in some cases they are incorrect for my vintage Mustang. Case in point - spotlights. My spotlights are single wire, but I recently learned that they used two wires to tie into the controls. My CC1 has a faceplate that differs from the original slightly. My CHP shotgun rack is for a later-version Mustang. So I've held off installing the equipment. But I think I will proceed with the equipment install when I get the car back from the body shop, and then replace the pieces I have with correct units as I find them.

In terms of the car itself, the compression is good on the engine, which I was told had been rebuilt as some time. But the engine compartment needs to be gone through and detailed. Underneath, the car has sloppy sub-frame connectors welded in that need to come out.

It's been a fun little car. During the winter I really miss driving it.

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 03-11-2011, 12:45 PM
Admin

Bill,

Spotlights are an easy fix (handles). I think I have a crushed CC1 that you could use to swap internals (and the chassis, which includes the faceplate) over with. I also will have the complete rear radio equipment for you when you are ready.

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363
Old 03-11-2011, 02:55 PM

Thanks Mike! I'm ready, and will give you a shout over the weekend.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:02 AM

Default 3/22/2011 Update

I stopped by the body shop today. They buffed out the paint, which took care of the blemishes that had developed over time. They repaired the original bumper, and it was in the booth to be painted. The tail light will be getting a new lens, which was cracked in the accident.

It's a cell phone picture, and the weather today was dismal outside, but it looks nice. The O D Y ("JOHN'S BODY SHOP" over the doors) reflected in the trunklid kinda captures how it came out.

I'm getting the 5 steel wheels dismounted today (I still had the original spare), and will get three new tires for the front and spare. I plan to re-use the BFG's out back, since they are practically new. I think I will prep the wheels, and then have the tires installed without setting the bead. Then apply the satin black paint. Once that's done, I'll have the bead set and get them balanced with the weights on the inside edge of the rim. Can't wait to get steel wheels and '85 caps back on my four-eyed SSP!

Old 03-23-2011, 04:55 PM

Not long ago, I read through your build thread, AAAAHHHHHH!!! At least your neighbors are cool. Those 85 wheels are killer, best looking SSP rim IMO.
Are you going to permanently remove the subframe connectors? Handling will feel a lot different without them.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griswald View Post
Not long ago, I read through your build thread, AAAAHHHHHH!!! At least your neighbors are cool. Those 85 wheels are killer, best looking SSP rim IMO.
Are you going to permanently remove the subframe connectors? Handling will feel a lot different without them.
A previous owner set up my SSP for autocross, so the suspension has been beefed up (it has better Ford brakes too). That's probably when the subframe connectors were installed. I've gone back & forth about it, but I really like how the car handles. So I will probably install a better set of connectors in the car. When I'm dead and gone, I'll let the next owner decide if he wants to keep them on the car or not.

Old 09-11-2011, 09:50 PM
Addicted to CHPs/SSPs

New Pics to finish off the thread?

Sam-
1985 CHP #8337
CHP Motor Transport Mustangs
Old 09-12-2011, 08:46 AM

Sam, I don't think this car will ever get done. Aside from me taking forever to complete projects, I don't think an antique car can ever be considered "done". There's always something else that can be worked on to make it better.