Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Members' SSPs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Members' SSPs A place to post up pics of your SSP, whether restored, in-progress, or somewhere in-between.

Old 04-07-2009, 01:30 PM

Default Some of the CHP parts are in

There is a gentleman at the CHP named Robert Read who privately sells some of the obsolete CHP parts that were on many of their SSP's, depending on vintage. I know other members have bought parts from him for their CHP restorations. These parts were not inexpensive, but highly necessary for an accurate build-up.

Below are the a-pillar spotlights. California law still requires that their police cars have a steady-burn red light as part of their emergency lighting. The red spotlight meets that requirement, and will again be mounted on the driver's side post using the original hole. I probably will not make the red one functional, as my car will be a driver and I do not want to be hassled by the local police for having emergency lighting on my car.

The rear emergency lights sit atop the rear package shelf inside the rear window. These also will not be wired up, in order to keep the local police from being concerned while I drive around. I also plan to buy some off-road light covers to keep everyone happy. Here is a video clip of an SSP Mustang with these lights.

The final CHP parts (for now at least) are the spring-ball base for the long whip antenna on the passenger rear 1/4 panel, and the shorter roof antenna.

Down the line, I will probably purchase the original radio equipment and locking shotgun rack. I figure the CHP-specific parts will only become more difficult to find as time goes on, so I will pick them up as opportunity and funds allow. I do not want to put Mr. Read's contact information on the internet, but he his agreeable to me forwarding his information along to anyone interested in buying parts. So please send me a PM if anyone wants to contact him.

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 04-07-2009, 07:42 PM
Admin

Nice pics.

I also have a contact for NOS spotlights if anyone needs them. They are (or were) $50 each. The shafts are incorrect (length), but you can't beat NOS, especially at that price.

I've also bought from R. Read before and he has a ton of hard-to-find parts.

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363
Old 04-07-2009, 08:43 PM

Man they really messed up those pillars. I can't believe what was under that bondo. Good thing they found that before it was painted and it popped out later.

1993 FHP 813
1986 UHP SSP slicktop- Getting there little by little.
1993 Floyd Co Ga\Rome Ga pd SSP SOLD

E
ven grief recedes with time, but we must Never Forget. 9-11-01

Mustang Club of America member.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FHP813 View Post
Man they really messed up those pillars. I can't believe what was under that bondo. Good thing they found that before it was painted and it popped out later.
I could see that slab of Bondo falling off from hitting a pothole on a highway and then going through the windshield of the car behind me. Scary!

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 04-16-2009, 12:02 PM

Default Solid Metal Found!

After seeing so much body filler behind the passenger rear tire, I wasn't sure what the rest of the 1/4 panel would look like. The initial sanding showed putty all the way up to the door jam, but more effort revealed that there was in fact Ford steel under all that Bondo. The C-pillar and roof were slightly flexed from the accident, so that's why you see body filler there. Notice the 4-lug rear disc brakes...

This shot shows the car as it sits today. The roof is sanded, and the antenna hole was reopened. The driver's side 1/4 panel is being massaged around the area of the CHP whip antenna mount.

The removed body panels are being prepped for cut-in. New taillight lenses are enroute, which I will install into the light panels next week. A Ford NOS headlight header panel is enroute to replace the busted one behind the bumper cover. The old one had been damaged and very poorly repaired, so a new one was needed. New weatherstripping and doorchannel strips will be installed.

I decided to return the original window trim back to its polished state, however I will be straying from stock by painting the roof rail trim in body color. Dark colored 4-eyes just look too cluttered IMO when all the trim is left bright on the car. Below is a comparison that shows Marcos's car on the top (prior to restoring) with the bright roof rail trim, and Scott's car without it:

It's a subtle difference, but it reflects my personal taste. As a point of reference, my car when finished will look ALOT like Marcos's car at the top, with the spotlights and antennae. The most obvious difference between his car in the above photo and my car when done will be that I am keeping its non-original blacked-out 10-hole wheels because the car has the larger '87-up front brakes.

So that's all for now. I will post up more pictures next week...

Old 04-16-2009, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28HopUp View Post
I decided to return the original window trim back to its polished state, however I will be straying from stock by painting the roof rail trim in body color. Dark colored 4-eyes just look too cluttered IMO when all the trim is left bright on the car. Below is a comparison that shows Marcos's car on the top (prior to restoring) with the bright roof rail trim, and Scott's car without it

Great progress.

You're not really straying from stock just the year. The '86's roof trim is charcoal. This pic below is the best I could find to really see it.
http://www.specialservicemustang.net...HP/1986FHP.jpg

Do you plan on doing the moldings in charcoal?
http://public.fotki.com/predator2020/
Old 04-16-2009, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by predator20 View Post
Great progress.

You're not really straying from stock just the year. The '86's roof trim is charcoal. This pic below is the best I could find to really see it.
http://www.specialservicemustang.net...HP/1986FHP.jpg

Do you plan on doing the moldings in charcoal?
I guess you'd call it that. I was figuring on a matte black finish for the rubber moldings, but charcoal is probably a better way to describe the color.

I'm getting REALLY stoked about getting this car back from the body shop. Once it's home, I'll peel the window tint, install the lights/antennae, replace the dash pad, speedo, carpet, headliner, package shelf, and install the new seats. The seats still need to be cleaned - the cloth is pretty dingey. I thought about contacting a local auto detail shop to see if they could professionally clean them up. I also have an Insignia (Best Buy in-house brand) radio/CD/Ipod unit for the dash. I bought that one mainly because the backlighting is orange like the dash lights. I picked up four new speakers right before Circuit City went outa business.

Old 04-17-2009, 12:35 AM

where can I get pair of Unity lights for a CHP car? I would like the red and the clear - thank you guys!
Old 04-17-2009, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowMurci View Post
where can I get pair of Unity lights for a CHP car? I would like the red and the clear - thank you guys!
PM sent

Old 04-17-2009, 04:45 PM
CHiPster

The top trim on '86, moldings, and sail panel should be SEM Trim Charcoal Gray.

Top Trim panel chrome, sail panel same color as roof, and moldings SEM Trim Charcoal on '85.

Top Trim chrome, sail panel same color as roof, moldings SEM Trim black on cars up-to '84.

I two like the top trim and sail panel in SEM Trim Charcoal. I might go that route even if it is not correct.