Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Special Service Mustang Parts For Sale
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Special Service Mustang Parts For Sale Got SSP parts? Please post 'em.

Old 05-21-2007, 10:56 PM
Admin

Default NOS Pinto Hubcaps on eBay

When I sold these to Tom a couple of years ago, I thought that they were the correct, NOS '82-'84 SSP hubcaps. He has them advertised as such, but further research has shown that the D8BC caps are actually the correct, OEM ones. These would still be a nice set to use on an early car, though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NOS-1...spagenameZWDVW

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363
Old 05-22-2007, 04:49 PM
The White Fred Sanford

Somewhere in the material I've collected there was information that 4 different part number caps were used correctly on the early SSP's...part numbers ranged from 1971,1977 & 1978 coded part numbers. I haven't seen that stuff in a while...I really need to dig through my crap as I have a ton of stuff just boxed up in storage.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:18 PM
Admin

The Special Equipment Parts list I have posted on the website (from my '83 CSP car) shows the correct part number.

http://www.specialservicemustang.net/Documentation.html

This is also documented via numerous, in-service pics of the cars. Mike C. recently posted this pic of an in-service, '82 CHP car, which shows the caps pretty well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan1-vi.jpg (90.2 KB, 52 views)

Mike

'83 Texas DPS
Old 05-22-2007, 06:45 PM
The White Fred Sanford

The information I had was credible...your documentation shows that cap for that time frame but it is possible that other caps were used at different times for different reasons. I've seen other parts on Mustangs change due to supplier issues or shipment delay issues. I am going on my memory as it's probably been some years since I had that stuff unearthed but I remember D1, D7 and D8 part numbers listed. There was also a full sized wheel cover used in '84 I believe. If I can ever get some free time I'll try to dig up that info I had....It's probably buried with the my old '90 7up window sticker that I can't find.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:05 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by svopaul View Post
The information I had was credible...your documentation shows that cap for that time frame but it is possible that other caps were used at different times for different reasons. I've seen other parts on Mustangs change due to supplier issues or shipment delay issues. I am going on my memory as it's probably been some years since I had that stuff unearthed but I remember D1, D7 and D8 part numbers listed. There was also a full sized wheel cover used in '84 I believe. If I can ever get some free time I'll try to dig up that info I had....It's probably buried with the my old '90 7up window sticker that I can't find.
Doesn't get any more credible than the actual Ford documents.

The '82-'84 in-service pics I've looked at all show the correct, non-painted (and non-stainless) cap. The SEP list posted up in the tech section is for an '83, and the same part number is listed in documentation I have from CHP for their '84 order.

Many agencies, like CSP, ran full wheel covers (but these were purchased and added). The only factory full-wheel covers that I've seen were the '85 SSPs that were ordered with autos. These cars received the CFI system and 14 inch wheels with full covers. Mike R. has several in-service pics of these cars in the gallery over on .org (the Oklahoma '85 SSP, for example), and a guy who listed his AOD '85 for sale over there awhile back has the same SEP for it, with those wheels and covers.

I doubt that Ford would have used a D1FZ or D2FZ on a car built in 1982.

Mike

'83 Texas DPS
Old 05-22-2007, 07:23 PM
The White Fred Sanford

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImEvil1 View Post
Doesn't get any more credible than the actual Ford documents.

The '82-'84 in-service pics I've looked at all show the correct, non-painted (and non-stainless) cap. The SEP list posted up in the tech section is for an '83, and the same part number is listed in documentation I have from CHP for their '84 order.

Many agencies, like CSP, ran full wheel covers (but these were purchased and added). The only factory full-wheel covers that I've seen where the '85 SSPs that were ordered with autos. These cars received the CFI system and 14 inch wheels with full covers. Mike R. has several in-service pics of these cars in the gallery over on .org (the Oklahoma '85 SSP, for example), and a guy who listed his AOD '85 for sale over there awhile back has the same SEP for it, with those wheels and covers.

I doubt that Ford would have used a D1FZ or D2FZ on a car built in 1982.
I agree Mike and my documentation was indeed from Ford just like much of my other stuff I've collected...ie: did you know there were plans for an SVO Capri? I have Ford documentation for that as well but nobody(or very few) know of those plans.

Never believe that what you see is all there is and the end all to everything....I have Documentation from Shelby American accounting file copies showing information not contained in the Shelby Registry. The SVO faithfull found out last year that despite Ford records indicating otherwise that a BLUE 1984 SVO actually did and does exist...that was a color not offered in any shade until 1986 yet a Ford employee was able to special order one in Cadet Blue in 1984....there was a big brew ha ha about that cars' authenticity and upon inspection and some digging it was proven correct and a few people ate crow over it.

Don't be naive with Ford's use of parts...there are TONS of parts carried over and used throughout the years....there are C2(1962) & C8(1968) parts used on even '95 Mustangs..........even with the SVO there were E2(1982) and D8 (1978) parts used in 1986....there were E5(1985) parts used on 1993 Mustangs(as well as C8 and C3. Ford recycles more than you might realize....it's all about the bean counters much of the time.

Regardless, it's not worth arguing over a set of hubcaps and if I have the time I will try to dig up what I have. I am more of a collector of junk than anything else so I have a ton of crap and paperwork in my collection....one day someone is going to have a field day going through my crap.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:30 PM
Admin

Quote:
Regardless, it's not worth arguing over a set of hubcaps and if I have the time I will try to dig up what I have.
No argument here....just posting the documentation and pointing out that the caps on eBay are incorrectly listed. They are still a nice set.

If you have some actual documentation that's contradictory, feel free to post it up.

I'm sticking with what's in hand.

Mike

'83 Texas DPS
Old 05-22-2007, 07:42 PM
The White Fred Sanford

Quote:
No argument here....just posting the documentation and pointing out that the caps on eBay are incorrectly listed. They are still a nice set.

If you have some actual documentation that's contradictory, feel free to post it up.

I'm sticking with what's in hand.
That's fine and good to have a copy of. Like I said, I've collected a TON of stuff over the years pertaining to Mustangs of every sort....what I lack is the time to sit and sort through it right now. I wish I'd had the space over the years to archive this stuff in some sort of library format for easy retrieval but space restrictions would not allow that.

The ebay caps mean nothing to me in this aspect....I only brought up points from some stuff I had stashed away. If I showed you the red book operations manual I have from 1982 for the SVO project you would be amazed at where the parts were sourced from for that car! Neat stuff!!

I also have a copy of the actual Ford assembly manual from 1984 for the Mustang....it would take hours to pour through it but it's also really cool stuff to look at as it shows everything down to where things like paint markings and things of that nature are on the fuel tank etc.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:55 PM

Quote:
When I sold these to Tom a couple of years ago, I thought that they were the correct, NOS '82-'84 SSP hubcaps. He has them advertised as such, but further research has shown that the D8BC caps are actually the correct, OEM ones. These would still be a nice set to use on an early car, though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NOS-1...spagenameZWDVW

I read the auction. It seems maybe all my bitching about GGG and being called the "parts police" has had quite an impact. I think the hubcaps are pretty nice and I would not hesitate to put them on the 83 FHP car when it is finished.

for the first time since 1998 there is only two left:

1984 Oregon SP unmarked
1986 Idaho SP
Old 05-22-2007, 11:52 PM
Admin

Quote:
That's fine and good to have a copy of.
Not a copy...it's an original document.

Quote:
The ebay caps mean nothing to me in this aspect....I only brought up points from some stuff I had stashed away. If I showed you the red book operations manual I have from 1982 for the SVO project you would be amazed at where the parts were sourced from for that car! Neat stuff!!

I also have a copy of the actual Ford assembly manual from 1984 for the Mustang....it would take hours to pour through it but it's also really cool stuff to look at as it shows everything down to where things like paint markings and things of that nature are on the fuel tank etc.
If you get a chance, it'd be interesting to see some of that assembly manual. I've never seen one.

Mike

'83 Texas DPS