Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > 1982-1986 Special Service Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

1982-1986 Special Service Mustangs The 4-eyed cars.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:34 AM
...Gathering Parts

Thanks Jim, that's what I figured it might be too just trying to be accurate on the information.

As I find more information, I will post it here. The other ISP car that surfaced this year was at Idaho State University in Pocatello after it was at ISP. There are 7 state universities and colleges there in Idaho along with the private colleges too and who knows the other potential departments that could have used this for drug cars or D.A.R.E or a number of things. The surplus program in Idaho states that they can without bid "transfer" to another municipality or state sponsored organization as well as donating to an established charity too. I think that there are some blank times on these cars - check the Autocheck on the recent Idaho SSP sale here on eBay (click on the auto report to see what I mean):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/?cmd=...AIT#vi-content

You will notice that it was government registered in 2002... what happened before? I have a similar deal but not showing any government use at all nor any activity until 1996.

I'm going to contact Idaho's online DMV service today to see if there is any benefit to paying a $95.00 subscription fee and $8.50 per vehicle search and get any better information than what I'm getting from Experian. It might be that the electronic records only go back ten or so years, who knows. I don't know if "CarFax" is any better either.

I know that information is sometimes a WAG in these cases but I look to find answers and I'll keep digging. If anyone else has a suggestion of where to look, let me know.
Old 10-14-2011, 06:58 PM

Congrats on the purchase!
92 ssp Kansas Highway Patrol #270(1 of 7) sold
89 ssp Az Dps sold
93 svt Cobra #4892
12 Boss 302 #1749
Old 10-14-2011, 07:11 PM
...Gathering Parts

Thanks! It's a bit of a challenge since I've never really done that much with Mustangs in the past or a restoration of a department other than my local departments here in Ohio.

I did however have some good progress today in historical searches. Worked out what looks to be the location of the correct Ford dealer today in Idaho that delivered my and Jim Y's cars in 1986. Along with that, I found possibly the cache of ISP radios that were in the Mustangs too with original ISP property tags still on them (no worries Jim, I'll get one for you too!). Have now multiple confirmations from the Boise Coroner's office, the radio firm that sold the GE radios and a US Marshal that have stated that ISP used GE Phoenix UHF radios from the early 80's on. I've also got an interesting note that they may have also used Federal PA 15, 20 and 200's rather than Unitrols... back to the drawing board maybe??
Old 10-14-2011, 07:20 PM

awesome news.... thanks for all the work you have been doing...

for the first time since 1998 there is only two left:

1984 Oregon SP unmarked
1986 Idaho SP
Old 10-15-2011, 03:03 PM
...Gathering Parts

Still working on the car... but it is looking better!

Temporary tire...

Car is running strong... now it's just got to stop!!!!

Brakes are next...

Found traces of the front mud flaps...

Not sure what these holes are on the floor board... anyone (and no build sheet still)?

Found something interesting here...

Which is the speaker mounting for the Phoenix radio...

One more time... no rollbar marks showing...

That doggone build sheet is still on the run somewhere under that carpet!!!!!!

Found the patched roof mounted antenna hole... means this car had a CB radio and a UHF antenna...

So some progress this week... Next week the exhaust and brakes... Now, any other suggestions where else to look for the doggone build sheet???
Old 10-16-2011, 10:13 PM
...Gathering Parts

And to note, I just ordered the Marti report on this car just a few moments ago. That should help get me in the right direction this week and confirm what I found last week!
Old 10-21-2011, 10:56 AM
...Gathering Parts

Got the Marti report last night. Looks like my research so far is fairly accurate except for two items:

1. Marti found that the car originally had a Canyon Red stripe on it. Is this a pinstripe?? Anybody have an example that they can post? I have not been able to find any of the ISP cars with this stripe on them in the photos that I've been able to see in my research. I've got to wonder if they removed it when the car had ISP paint the roof on it.

2. The car was sold July 28, 1986 for fleet duty. No indication to ISP but definitely Idaho SP DSO specifications.

The confirmation of the original dealer is now in place with this Marti report too so I feel good about the direction of my detective work so far. Moving on to verify other information with an ISP patrol sergeant that drove an 86 just after he came on and the head of ISP fleet so we can get this restoration going!
Old 10-21-2011, 11:45 AM
VIN guru

Does the image of the door tag on the Marti Report match the door tag on the car? Or is the tag on the car missing or not legible? Can you post an image of your Marti Report?

The "TAPE" column on the door tag is for paint stripes (painted on at the factory), and Bright Canyon Red would be code "E". That code, and the other five single letter paint stripe codes, is for the LX trim levels (coupe/hatch/convertible) only.

LX tape paint stripe codes/colors
A = Black
B = Bright Regatta Blue (coupe/hatch only)
E = Bright Canyon Red
Q = Medium Academy Blue
W = White (convertible only)
Y = Medium Champagne

If the stripes were deleted at the factory it would have been indicated in the comments on (at the bottom of) the build sheet. I have seen a few 1986 Saleen build sheets that have the comment DELETE PAINT STRIPES. i have also seen a couple of 1985 CHP build sheets that have the comment DELETE STRIPES. there may have been other ways for the factory to build an LX without the stripes, but I don't know.
Old 10-21-2011, 06:37 PM
...Gathering Parts

The door tags match from the report with the car, I simply did not notice the tape stripe designation on the tag itself. I'll post the report when I get to my computer.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:40 PM
...Gathering Parts

Marti Report as sent to me attached. First time for me to use Marti but have seen his previous reporting.

I noticed that it didn't really say anything about Idaho SP but the buck tags do.

Door tag for reference:

Buck Tags:

I'll have to get to them and get a better image of what is there.