Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Special Service Mustang Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Special Service Mustang Tech Any and all technical questions for SSP cars.

Old 03-30-2007, 06:52 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by svopaul View Post
Hey, when it comes to ebay I often email sellers to correct them on their listing...most of the time it goes ignored though. I think they do it on purpose just to attempt to get more money for it..
I agree...but the "mustang interceptor" 5.0 badges and "police interceptor" decals do a heckuva lot worse than what we are talking about here.

Quote:
A body panel is different than a cable....a cable is not supposed to be a painted part. That would be like spray painting plug wires so they looked correct. Maybe my outlook is different because I restore cars for a living but some things when you paint them lose something in their appearance. Average onlookers may never notice but those who know....know most of the time unless they are not paying attention. .
I wouldn't spray paint the cable, personally...but vinyl dye would be an option.

Quote:
OK, I thought you were referring to the ebay cable being the Fairmont cable...thanks for clearing that up.
No..the cable I found. The OE cables on my '83 CSP are both grey, BTW. With no part numbers on either cable, who's to say what the correct color cable is on the early cars anyway?

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363
Old 03-30-2007, 06:58 PM
The White Fred Sanford

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImEvil1 View Post
I agree...but the "mustang interceptor" 5.0 badges and "police interceptor" decals do a heckuva lot worse than what we are talking about here.
Yes but much of that is obviously aftermarket and original Ford literature can easily prove those to be incorrect...but original literature does not show or describe other details.

Quote:
I wouldn't spray paint the cable, personally...but vinyl dye would be an option.
That may work and although many may not tell the difference there are people like me who could if I really wanted to examine it. Honestly though you could fool MCA judges because they really don't have much of a clue about much of the specialty cars....I hope they try to change this but it is doubtful that it will happen anytime soon.

Quote:
No..the cable I found. The OE cables on my '83 CSP are both grey, BTW. With no part numbers on either cable, who's to say what the correct color cable is on the early cars anyway?
That is were research comes into play...talking to those who dealt with the cars or were around them when new...enthusiasts from long ago and pictures if you can find them. Unrestored cars also attest to this. Things like this like you have done on this site document this and keep the record straight so that confusion or misrepresentations down the road are avoided or debunked.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:03 PM
Admin

Quote:
Yes but much of that is obviously aftermarket and original Ford literature can easily prove those to be incorrect...but original literature does not show or describe other details..
It's not that obvious to some people who are new to the hobby. I'm sure a good deal of the stuff is sold to unsuspecting people.

Quote:
That is were research comes into play...talking to those who dealt with the cars or were around them when new...enthusiasts from long ago and pictures if you can find them. Unrestored cars also attest to this. Things like this like you have done on this site document this and keep the record straight so that confusion or misrepresentations down the road are avoided or debunked.
I have been fortunate...I was around some of these cars when new, and I was issued and drove one in-service. Still...I didn't pay close enough attention to alot of the little things, and I'm still constantly learning, and still constantly researching. My CSP car still has the original paint, and a ton of other original parts, but I can't say with 100% certainty that the cable on the car is what was on the car when it left Dearborn. For me, I just want something that looks correct, and actually works with the VASCAR system I'm installing.

Mike

'83 Texas DPS
Old 03-30-2007, 09:07 PM

As for me, if it works and looks correct, then it's good to go. I would like to be added to the waiting list for these, as I know it is most likely missing from the '85 that I will be bringing home shortly. I am still unclear as to what is actually correct for the '85. Paul caught me before I spent stupid money on the 88-93 one on Ebay, and thanks for that. I will also need the bottom half, too, eventually. I don't care at this point what color it is. When the car is that detailed, maybe by then I will know which one I am looking for. Right now, I am happy with getting it to work when the car is together.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:15 PM

I am still checking the application for the cable. I have a couple of s-rod 4 speeds in inventory and the speedo -cable attaching area on the trans looks identical in size and shape to a t-5. I will probably just go to parts house and buy a replacement cable for an 82 4speed car and see what it looks like. I also checked all my cars that have the vascar cable intact on them (3). I don't have any that have a part number or part number tag on them.

I bought some more vascar parts last week and I think i have everything now to put a working vascar unit back in the 83 FHP car. That is my ultimate goal.

for the first time since 1998 there is only two left:

1984 Oregon SP unmarked
1986 Idaho SP
Old 03-30-2007, 09:25 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyinTiger View Post
As for me, if it works and looks correct, then it's good to go. I would like to be added to the waiting list for these, as I know it is most likely missing from the '85 that I will be bringing home shortly. I am still unclear as to what is actually correct for the '85. Paul caught me before I spent stupid money on the 88-93 one on Ebay, and thanks for that. I will also need the bottom half, too, eventually. I don't care at this point what color it is. When the car is that detailed, maybe by then I will know which one I am looking for. Right now, I am happy with getting it to work when the car is together.
I'll be bringing the '83 CSP car over from storage this weekend (hopefully) to do a brake job. I'll take a look at the cable, like Jim said, and see what the differences are (if any). I think that the cable being discussed will work on the earlier T-5 cars, but I'm not sure about the SROD cars. I'll post up some pics if it all works out. The one that went for $100 was a good deal....it listed for alot more than that from Ford (when you could still buy them).

Mike

'83 Texas DPS
Old 03-30-2007, 09:41 PM

Thanks for checking the application, Mike and Jim. The $100 one was a good buy. I expected it to go for much, much more, as I had seen in the past.
Old 03-31-2007, 09:15 AM
The White Fred Sanford

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImEvil1 View Post
It's not that obvious to some people who are new to the hobby. I'm sure a good deal of the stuff is sold to unsuspecting people.
I think we are always going to have that.....I still have people that come to me telling me that they have or saw a 1998 or whatever SN95 Mustang SVO....when what they saw was a car with a Ford Motosport "SVO" side exhaust kit.

Quote:
I have been fortunate...I was around some of these cars when new, and I was issued and drove one in-service. Still...I didn't pay close enough attention to alot of the little things, and I'm still constantly learning, and still constantly researching. My CSP car still has the original paint, and a ton of other original parts, but I can't say with 100% certainty that the cable on the car is what was on the car when it left Dearborn. For me, I just want something that looks correct, and actually works with the VASCAR system I'm installing.
That's part of the fun....nobody knows "Everything" and everyone learns something new each day.
Old 03-31-2007, 12:32 PM
Admin

Quote:
That's part of the fun....nobody knows "Everything" and everyone learns something new each day.
I agree...and there is always going to be another car out there waiting to provide us with previously unknown or undocumented information. Definitely part of the fun...

Mike

'83 Texas DPS
Old 03-31-2007, 02:11 PM
The White Fred Sanford

We restored a 1989 Mustang almost 5 years ago and found a coffee cup in the inner fenderwell that had a FORD logo on it....that was funny.

I also removed a K-member from a 1994 Cobra and it had written in white paint "How are you today?" on the top where it would be hidden/sandwiched between the Frame Rail and K-member.

Some of the production line stuff is funny and then there are other variations you find as well. I once bought a 1984 Mustang SVO that had rear shoulder belts with Ford labels on them....after investigation it turned out that Ford offered a rear shoulder belt kit after there was some uproar or news story about the safety of cars back in the mid 80's. It's the only rear shoulder Mustang kit I've ever seen.