Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Special Service Mustang Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Special Service Mustang Tech Any and all technical questions for SSP cars.

Old 05-05-2007, 01:22 PM

Default Gas tank?

I am planning to do some more work on the Mustang today. I finally installed a fuel pump that doesn't leak, after 3. Now it seems to run rough and will not idle after about the first ten seconds or so. Seeing as how 1982 was smack in the middle of the automotive dark ages here in the USA, I am thinking that it could be either some kind of emissions solenoid that kicks in after it is running and vents the vacuum to atmosphere, because something fell off of it; or there is a bunch of crap in the bottom of the tank that takes about that long to come up off the bottom of the tank and clog up the pick-up, causing a starved fuel condition. I intend to get tho the bottom of it today.

Finally my question, I see that there is an outfit selling supposedly repop fuel tanks for $85 on Ebay, and I was wondering if anyone had seen an example?

"You know, I think it was James Joyce who said that a genius makes no mistakes, that his errors are on purpose and they become the portholes of discovery, that's the kind of thing you say when you do something real stupid." Red Green
Old 05-06-2007, 05:07 PM

The problem seems to be that the carb float is not shutting off flow to the bowl and once the carb fills up it spills over into the intake and the vent line. I have to say that the one good thing about the Autolite two barrel is that you can take the top off and play inside while the car is runnig...(or trying to run)

"You know, I think it was James Joyce who said that a genius makes no mistakes, that his errors are on purpose and they become the portholes of discovery, that's the kind of thing you say when you do something real stupid." Red Green
Old 05-06-2007, 05:17 PM
Admin

Well...good to hear it's only a carb problem. Rebuild kits for the 4180s are still available (and not too expensive), so I bet that the 2150s are still out there, also. I had a buddy teach me to rebuild them a few years back...best 3 hours I've spent on my '83 (which wasn't running when I bought it, or trying to).

Here's a site with good info on the carb (and rebuild stuff, too).

http://home.earthlink.net/~bubbaf250...rb/carb03.html

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363
Old 05-07-2007, 12:27 AM

Have rebuilt 2 of them in the past 2 weeks, a 1969 - kit was $14.75 and an 1982 - kit was $10.70. Both had a one piece needle and seat instead of OE 2 piece- improved ? or cheaper ? the instructions did say to remove the old needle and seat shield and leave off if so equipped. Just be easy tightening the acc. pump cover and power valve cover, easy to snap a corner on those- I've never done it but have seen a few that were broke. Also the float shaft has 3 grooves for the retaining wire, the float is offset to one side so be sure to use the right set of grooves for the clip. Other than that fun to do, not too many pieces.
Old 05-19-2007, 05:37 PM

Grand total for the carb kit, float, and two cans of hog wash is $76. I almost yacked at a $50 kit for a two barrel, but it comes with power valves, so I'm thinking, not too terrible.