Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Agency-Specific Restoration
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Agency-Specific Restoration Have an Agency-Specific question? This is the place.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:49 PM
Admin

What Brian said.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg door 2.jpg (24.7 KB, 166 views)

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363
Old 12-09-2008, 09:13 AM
**No Longer a Registered Member**

Thanks for the posting of the dates and door stickers.

Feel free to move this thread as you see fit.

Thanks for everyone's help and input!
Old 12-10-2008, 01:21 AM

Here is the door tag off of my 82 CHP Hatchback. As you can see, it was built in 7/82 and had a later DSO.

The build sheet for the hatchback is virtually identical to the notchback SSP's I've had, including the speedometer. About the only noticeable difference was the spring identification, probably due to the difference in weight of a hatchback.

Old 03-25-2009, 10:26 AM

UPDATE!

I have been researching the history of CHP unit #1963car. The CHP began testing/evaluation of this Mustang in January 1982 at the CHP Academy. Testing continued into February up to the time of the CHP bid/contract letting for the ordering of cars for the CHP

I have found and spoken with Emil Loeffler who was the director of the Mustang Police car program for Ford in 1981/82. He has been very helpful with information and history of the car and the Mustang Police car program. I have also located and spoken with Jay Emery. Jay was the program leader for the new CHP Mustang evaluation project and also director of CHP Motor Transport at the time. Jay confirms that the original 82 proto-type Mustang, unit #1963, was converted by the CHP after the end of the testing and evaluation program into the first EVOC Mustang for use at the CHP academy.

Jay tells me that the famous "Mustang Chases Porsche's for a living" was originally billed as "This Mustang Catches Porsche's for a living". The ad copy in the ad was changed to the ad we all have seen when Porsche AG said "prove it" that a Mustang can catch a Porsche! He further states that the 82 CHP Mustang featured in that specific ad was the first production CHP patrol Mustang they received from the June 1982 Ford production run of cars. This car received the first license plate/unit number for the 406 production patrol Mustangs. So if any of you out there have this unit number car, you have the first in service Mustang of the June 1982 production run of CHP Mustangs and the actual car featured in the ad.

According to the Jay, the rear bracket shown on unit #1963 in one of the early pictures was used to mount a "gun" that would shoot a mark on the pavement the instant the brakes were applied. They would then measure the braking distance from that point to where the car stopped to provide brake test information. Jay further also said that #1963 was passed around for everyone to drive and evaluate like hooker at the Mustang Ranch. He said the car was rode hard! He further states that all sorts of politicians, celebrities and like were driven in this car. The car was hauled, driven and shown all over the state of California in the Spring of 1982.

I have spoken with David Storer, Michigan State Highway Patrol retired, who was the founder, devloper and head of the Michigan State Highway Patol Car test program from 1976 to his retirement. He confirms the MSHP did test an 82 Mustang specifically for the CHP. Jay also confirms this test for the CHP by the MSHP did occur. Jay said he remembers that since Ford technically owned #1963, he remembers that is the car that was sent to Michigan for the MSHP test and then returned to the CHP in California. He said that Ford did a lot of testing with the car on the CHP's behalf and would do most anything that was requested. The fact that this car was also the actual car tested by the MSHP is not confirmed but is what Jay Emery stated he remembers. David Storer remembers testing the Mustang and is trying to find a copy of the 1982 test for me. He says that he doubts there is any specific reference to the VIN of the car that was tested since that was not one of the data points but says the report may be different since it was specifically performed for the CHP and Ford.

It is VERY intersting talking to these people about this car in specific and the history of the car and the Mustang Police car program in general. I have learned about how different upgrades to the Mustang were tested on early Mustangs and ultimately made it into the SSP package.

I look forward to seeing you all in Birmingham. I will be showing both the the 82 and 92 EVOC cars.

Have a great day!
Old 03-25-2009, 04:26 PM

So...were the Mustangs able to catch a Porsche?

'93 SSP
'90 LX 'vert - Sold
'87 LX hatch (parted out)
'88 LX 'vert (should have never)
'83 GL hatch (college car, long gone)
Old 03-25-2009, 07:07 PM

Great story. Has anyone you have spoken with said anything about information on the other 406 cars? Anything would be useful.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:04 PM
CHiPster

CHP 401 was just on ebay a week or two ago.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:49 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Here is the door tag off of my 82 CHP Hatchback. As you can see, it was built in 7/82 and had a later DSO.

The build sheet for the hatchback is virtually identical to the notchback SSP's I've had, including the speedometer. About the only noticeable difference was the spring identification, probably due to the difference in weight of a hatchback.
Kevin,

I missed your post. I'm glad to see your car has a 6 digit DSO. Can you post up the build sheet?

Mike

'83 Texas DPS
Old 03-25-2009, 08:51 PM
Admin

Mike,

Great info, and +1 on what Jonathan has said. Any other info for the rest of us would be outstanding.

Also, were they able to provide VIN confirmation for you? If so, great news.

Mike

'83 Texas DPS
Old 03-26-2009, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImEvil1 View Post
Mike,

Great info, and +1 on what Jonathan has said. Any other info for the rest of us would be outstanding.

Also, were they able to provide VIN confirmation for you? If so, great news.

YES!