Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Members' SSPs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Members' SSPs A place to post up pics of your SSP, whether restored, in-progress, or somewhere in-between.

Old 01-15-2012, 02:27 AM
Mustang Fan!

Engine looks great Bill! good luck with the project.

http://public.fotki.com/88stang/
Old 03-12-2012, 03:46 PM

My SSP is back home! The motor installation is not finished, but it is a lot closer to being done than the last picture I posted -

The wiring issues were finally addressed. The vacuum lines, and some minor electrical stuff need to be finished. I need to prep and paint the windshield wiper motor. The air cleaner body/lid need to be re-done. It needs a new fan belt too. And of course the hood will go back on once we are done tinkering in the engine bay.

But it is so close to being back on the road, I can almost taste it!

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 03-15-2012, 04:24 PM
Addicted to CHPs/SSPs

Looks great Bill! The SSP will be back on the road in no time

Sam-
1985 CHP #8337
CHP Motor Transport Mustangs
Old 10-23-2012, 07:47 AM

It is just SAD that my SSP sat all summer while I worked on other things. I still haven't fired the engine, but I am much closer. I routed string around the pulleys to determine the correct belt length (855K6) since my smog pump was "accidentally" left in my collection of parts. The wiper motor and hood latch are now mounted. Quite a few of the vacuum lines were connected/capped, but there are a few more that need to be finished. Kris and I will re-prime the engine and fire it up this week. Stay tuned...

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 10-23-2012, 01:14 PM

This post is so motivational. I have an 85 CHP and am working on it as I drive (see my post 85 Dream Car). I have a freshly built 306 that I will be installing in the next month or two. Of course, stock look with stock air cleaner etc. Love following the progress on this one. Keep up the good work and keep posting pics....very motivational......I am glad I have two sons, ages 5 and nine months....who will one day take over my beloved Mustangs and care for them as I do now....but that day can wait...lets drive em and enjoy em!!
Old 10-24-2012, 12:36 AM
1985 CHP/NEV SSP'S

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt3434 View Post
This post is so motivational. I have an 85 CHP and am working on it as I drive (see my post 85 Dream Car). I have a freshly built 306 that I will be installing in the next month or two. Of course, stock look with stock air cleaner etc. Love following the progress on this one. Keep up the good work and keep posting pics....very motivational......I am glad I have two sons, ages 5 and nine months....who will one day take over my beloved Mustangs and care for them as I do now....but that day can wait...lets drive em and enjoy em!!
Remember it's addiction.......... 8336 has been here 24 years now.
1985 California Highway Patrol #8336 Napa Ca office.

1985 Nevada Highway Patrol #30. Federal Test Car. Reno Nv office.

California Highway Patrol#8336 & Nevada Highway Patrol #30 Restoration Pictures.

http://public.fotki.com/CHP8336/
Old 10-25-2012, 09:50 PM

It...

...runs!

Old 10-25-2012, 10:27 PM
Addicted to CHPs/SSPs

No pics or video? What kind of site do you think this is?!?!

LOL Just Kidding.

I would like to hear it though. Congrats.

Sam-
1985 CHP #8337
CHP Motor Transport Mustangs
Old 10-26-2012, 11:40 AM

Sorry Sam! No pictures or videos of the car running again. Soon though...

My nephew, Kris, came over last night and we buttoned up the few remaining things on the motor. With the radiator topped off, wiring connnected, vacuum lines attached/capped, Kris re-primed the engine and set the distributor. I got in and turned the key - CLICK! I had the battery on a charger, but it wasn't up to the task yet. So I pulled the battery out of the SMPV, and tried again. It cranked about 10 seconds and the motor sputtered briefly. Tried it again and she came to life. Kris adjusted the distributor while I tap-danced on the throttle. We shut it down to address a leaking fuel line at the pump, but then we ran it for a couple of minutes. We were not able to set the timing because the timing marks were not visible on the crank. It was close to 9pm anyway, so I didn't want to annoy the neighbors too much.

We will try again this next week to finish it up. We replaced the electric choke last night, and put the hood back on (it needs some minor adjustments still, but it latches closed). I need to get a battery hold-down for the new tray. We also need to put it up on jackstands so we can loosen the connection at the headers and h-pipe. There is a leak there, so I think we can tweak the h-pipe and tighten it back down. There are more little things to finish up, but it should be back on the road next week.

Oh, and I have decided to keep this car and the SMPV!

Old 10-26-2012, 12:37 PM

Sounds like what I was going through last week with my 1985 CHP...I have been driving it daily since Monday and after five days its like a new car....it defnitely looks like its been sitting since 1992 as I have not even dusted it off yet but I dont care since I will be tearing it down and rebuilding it....but I just needed to drive it! Keep the posts coming sir!