Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Members' SSPs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Members' SSPs A place to post up pics of your SSP, whether restored, in-progress, or somewhere in-between.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:46 AM

Here's a blurry picture taken of the fresh 5.0L installed in the car -

My apologies for the fuzzy picture, but it's all I have at the moment. Kris says that the wiring harness was so bad that I was lucky the car didn't catch on fire! There's still quite a ways to go, but progress is being made, with more (better) pictures to come.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:30 PM
Addicted to CHPs/SSPs

Shiny newness!

Looks much better than the old engine Bill
Can't wait until my engine looks that nice

Sam-
1985 CHP #8337
CHP Motor Transport Mustangs
Old 01-06-2012, 12:19 AM

very nice!
Old 01-06-2012, 10:22 AM

Thanks guys!

I really struggled with my decision to farm out most of the work on the engine replacement. I have the ability, desire, tools, and facility to do this all myself, but I just haven't had the time. So in 2011 I neglected my SSP. I finally got to the point where I realized that things aren't going to get done until I bite the bullet and pay someone else to do the work. My nephew, Kris, is a hard-working mechanic who is trying to establish his new shop, so I am happy to help him out. The project is moving forward, and soon I will have the car back so I can finish working on the details to make my SSP even nicer. My plan is to maintain and enjoy my SSP while it's in my care, in an attempt to leave it in better condition that when I found it in 2008.

I'll keep y'all posted...

EDIT: The way I ended that paragraph makes it sound like I may be getting rid of my SSP soon. That is not the case. I just know that the car will be around on this Earth long after I'm gone, so I want to do my best to preserve the car and enjoy all aspects of owning, restoring, and participating in this hobby.

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!

Last edited by 28HopUp; 01-06-2012 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Add'l content added
Old 01-06-2012, 12:35 PM

looking good Bill. The wiring harnesses on the 4 eyed cars are an item with me. I have several cars that the harnesses are at a point of needing replaced. They can be taken apart and repaired but it is a fairly tedious, time consuming job for sure.

for the first time since 1998 there is only two left:

1984 Oregon SP unmarked
1986 Idaho SP
Old 01-06-2012, 01:40 PM

What kind of issues with the harnesses did you find Bill and Jim? Deterioration, chafing, both, other? Any tips for what and where I and others should direct our attention to?
Old 01-06-2012, 02:11 PM

It looks great! Wish my 85 was as nice in the engine bay.

And like you, I have figured out that I need to pay someone to get it done. And it's been a wise choice - allows me to enjoy the build/hobby and have time for family, etc.

Keep the pics coming.
Old 01-06-2012, 03:35 PM
28HopUp
This message has been deleted by 28HopUp. Reason: covered in next post
Old 01-08-2012, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chp1982 View Post
What kind of issues with the harnesses did you find Bill and Jim? Deterioration, chafing, both, other? Any tips for what and where I and others should direct our attention to?
Mainly wires becoming exposed because the insulation has dried, cracked, and come off.

This picture shows the wires going into the voltage regulator -

This plug is on the driver's side, which shows the bare wires -

This one is UGLY, and shows the main harness plug by the driver's side shock tower -

Heat shrink is good stuff for repairing the original wiring, were possible. But the wires in some cases are so baked that heat shrink will not work. For those instances, Kris will be harvesting the correct color wires from a newer 5.0L Mustang harness to repair the damaged wires. It's a very tedious job!
Old 01-08-2012, 10:49 AM

Two questions came up yesterday when I was at Kris's shop. Assuming that the following item is a factory piece, does anyone have this part that they'd be willing to sell me?

It's located on the front of the intake manifold, and is for the heater hose. Kris ovaled it during removal, and it's not a part that's readily available.

The second item was more of a question. The following part is attached to the front of the driver's side shock tower, located above the DuraSpark -

What does this part do exactly?

And not wanting to leave you wanting for pictures, here is a shot of the engine bay taken yesterday -

Once the wiring issues are addressed, Kris will have to replace the needed vacuum lines/parts that have deteriorated. Then he'll button up the final engine assembly.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:10 PM

Looks great. Thanks for the pics of the wiring.