Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Agency-Specific Restoration
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Agency-Specific Restoration Have an Agency-Specific question? This is the place.

Old 06-08-2008, 11:03 PM

Default 93 CHP emergency lights

this video is shows the rear lights flashing only the blue and last yellow of the arrowstik. An idea when the red or red/blue was used? I find it interesting that the later Rangr setup has it with just the blue flashing with yellow and not red and blue flashing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLiqsozyCyA
Old 06-09-2008, 12:03 AM

the radios were programmed with numerous flash sequences on the later cars. If you watch the evoc video you can see several different setups on them also.

I think I may have a schematic for an arrowstick car that shows all the different options....I will look.

also on this site the motor transport manual should have some information.

for the first time since 1998 there is only two left:

1984 Oregon SP unmarked
1986 Idaho SP
Old 06-09-2008, 09:40 AM

Jim if you have that schematic I would really appreciate it. I also printed out the Motor Transport manual.

Thanks

Chris
Old 06-09-2008, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkSVT View Post
this video is shows the rear lights flashing only the blue and last yellow of the arrowstik. An idea when the red or red/blue was used? I find it interesting that the later Rangr setup has it with just the blue flashing with yellow and not red and blue flashing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLiqsozyCyA
The flash setup in that video must have been a SoCal thing, I'd never seen anything like it in other parts of the state. Normally, you'd see the the red/blues alternating (left blue & right red/right blue & left red) and the arrow stick alternating (four outside ambers/four inside ambers) like in this shot from Sacto:

1988 CHP #3035

http://public.fotki.com/Classicchp/
Old 06-09-2008, 10:48 PM
Admin

I don't think that the red and blues are alternating in the pic above.

All of the video I have, mostly of Crown Vics, shows both blues flash together, while the arrowstick flashes outside and then inside (alternating).

That's what the pic above looks like to me.

Also...if you look at the wiring diagram in the CHP Motor Manual, it looks like you could select either blue or red, but not both.

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363
Old 06-10-2008, 12:13 AM

in the evoc video one red with one blue flash together (on oposite sides) at the same time the four outside and four inside arrow stick lights alternate (wig wag). it is almost impossible to tell from a still pic as one light could be going off as the other is coming on making it look like they are both on at the same time (which in actuality they may be.

i set my car up like the evoc cars.

for the first time since 1998 there is only two left:

1984 Oregon SP unmarked
1986 Idaho SP
Old 06-10-2008, 01:22 AM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoDrama43 View Post
in the evoc video one red with one blue flash together (on oposite sides) at the same time the four outside and four inside arrow stick lights alternate (wig wag). it is almost impossible to tell from a still pic as one light could be going off as the other is coming on making it look like they are both on at the same time (which in actuality they may be.

i set my car up like the evoc cars.
The Caprices in that EVOC video are set up like that. I don't have any footage of any Caprices on the road, only a bunch of Crown Vics and a couple of the Mustangs. One is the video above with the weird patterns, and the others match the Crown Vics.

It's probably like you said earlier....many different flash patterns.

TR, are you out there?

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363
Old 06-11-2008, 12:46 PM

I saw Mustangs using the Caprice EVOC flash pattern in three different divisions (Coastal, Golden Gate, Valley) back in the day. Sorry, no video-just my own recollections and they are pretty clear.
1988 CHP #3035

http://public.fotki.com/Classicchp/
Old 09-19-2008, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac88chp View Post
The flash setup in that video must have been a SoCal thing, I'd never seen anything like it in other parts of the state. Normally, you'd see the the red/blues alternating (left blue & right red/right blue & left red) and the arrow stick alternating (four outside ambers/four inside ambers) like in this shot from Sacto:
Well, here's what I remember...

On the GE RANGR heads, I "think" pressing the amber button once will activate the outside ambers in a wig/wag pattern (only the single outside) and the blues on simultaneous flash...yep, just like the one in the video. Pressing the amber button again, or pressing it twice when activating it, will give you the red/blue alternating with the 'in-out' full amber pattern.

Now that I reflect on it though, that pattern may have been activated by the single press of the RED button, which was a one-touch 'traffic stop' button. It was either the RED or the *RED that would activate the minimal rear pattern and the solid red front for traffic stops. Damn...I'm getting old and the memory is going...

Anyway, that was an approved pattern and it was in ALL the RANGR control heads. I just don't remember know exactly which keypress activated it.

Incidentally, has anyone else noticed the new version of the CHP deck lights with only one blue on the drivers side and one red on the passenger side? The single blue flashes with the amber 6-bulb arrowstick on 'normal' activities, and the single red flashes with the amber for their 'red' activities. It sort of makes the whole car look out of balance!! Until I figured that out, I wondered why so many of their cars had a bulb burned out or a bad flasher!!!! LOL

*Firefighter, CAL FIRE
*Former Peace Officer, 14 years
*Former Mustang owner
*Former police Camaro driver (liked my personal
Mustang better!)

*Rank amateur source of useless information about
California lights, sirens, and radios