Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Members' SSPs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Members' SSPs A place to post up pics of your SSP, whether restored, in-progress, or somewhere in-between.

Old 10-04-2012, 05:43 PM

Post 1984 CHP Mustang 5.0 #2748

Hello All!
I'm not sure where to go for the VIN project, but I thought this would be a good place to reference some of the information and pictures.

VIN: 1FABP26M3EF204022

This was my first tip off that I had a SSP Mustang! I also don't see many of these, and I wonder what all the information this car means???
The second dealer sales code last 4 (2748) numbers and the unit number on the door tag:

Door Tag:

The car overall is in great shape. It was sitting in Arizona for a while:

Rear window, where the wig-wag's were. I can see where the bracket was and how it was secured:

The roof has some damage in the middle read where the antenna was:

Truck antenna patch job when it was removed (interior):

There is also this bracket in the truck, still not sure what it is (med kit?):

The interior is in good shape! The seats were redone at some point, but kept the stock two tone tan/white. It has the "TRON" style trim, and it looks way better than the fake wood (just like a Bronco, wtf..). It has the tile wheel140 speedo, and I'm super happy with this interior. I was somewhat partial to the 90-93 interior "Pony Package" look. The dash top was replaced with the cheap one that just glues on top. I stuffed a radio in there so I didn’t go crazy on long trips, just zip tied it in there:

Also has holes in the pillars where the search/spot light was:

Again, the two tone interior (which came stock two tone):

I need to find where I have the SSP tags pictures at, but I wrote it down awhile ago.

Tag 1:
Mustang
204022 66 B M
DF ST
AC 02 HB
MBW 01
M 02 1 x 1

Tag 2:
D.S.O. 72-0086 Chips
Calif. Hwy. Patrol
Special White - Doors $ Roof
Balance Black

Well I'm very excited to own a SSP Mustang!

The biggest problem I'm having right now, is that it's my daily driver. I have been making way less money for the past two years, so all I have been able to do is the maintenance. The last 6 months has been breaking my heart, just for the fact that I haven’t really improved the car much other than a good tune-up, water pump, alternator.

I will leave all my questions at another topic.

I would like to be added to the VIN project. I really know nothing about the car other than what I found that let me believe it was SSP CHP. Any extra info would be awesome. IE: Where it was stationed/department/purchase details. I did a car facts, and it had no registration until 1993. I guess that’s when It was sold to the public.

It's currently still registered in Arizona. It's much cheaper registration, no smog, no front plate... But I would like to maybe switch back to the California plate.

I'm not sure if I want to restore it to its original CHP look, as it's my daily driver for the time. But I was thinking of getting the spot lights, maybe putting the antennas back up. I thought about the two tone black/white paint and I'm not sure I want to do that.

Please request any pictures, I can add them. I couldn’t find all my old photos I took, so I just snapped some pictures real fast.

Thanks for looking!
Old 10-04-2012, 09:25 PM

Welcome to the site. Your interior would have been tan cloth (sand beige) originally. There's a wealth of information here for sure. Drive safe, that's a pretty rare one!

Last edited by chp1982; 10-04-2012 at 09:29 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-04-2012, 09:36 PM

Do you think it would be a waist not to restore it to a CHP original?
Old 10-04-2012, 10:01 PM

No, not a waste and not condusive to a daily driver in CA but I believe it would be a shame to not preserve this car. This site is "Dedicated to the promotion, protection, and restoration of the 1982-1993 Special Service Police Mustang."
Your car is a piece of Mustang and CHP history...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 84CHP2.jpg (16.5 KB, 138 views)
Old 10-04-2012, 10:58 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by chp1982 View Post
No, not a waste and not condusive to a daily driver in CA but I believe it would be a shame to not preserve this car. This site is "Dedicated to the promotion, protection, and restoration of the 1982-1993 Special Service Police Mustang."
Your car is a piece of Mustang and CHP history...
Well said.

Welcome to the board, Tyler. You definitely don't see many '84 CHPs around.

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363
Old 10-05-2012, 03:23 AM

I would like to restore some properties.
The spot light
Antennas
Correct interior, replace damaged parts
I also was thinking of doing a 5 lug conversion. The drum brakes are just terrible. I can do the conversion with junkyard parts on half off day for about $250. I like the SSP rims, but the Maximum Motorsport's Konig Villains that look like ultralights are a nice performance option.
I was thinking maybe even the stock SSP rims could be drilled for the 5 lug pattern?
I also plan on getting a toque arm and pan hard bar.
In the way, way future front and rear coil overs with tubular control arms in front and remove the rear coil on the lower control arm.
Most of this stuff would be seen from the outside.
I also have a tremec 3550 5 speed transmission in my backyard that I saved from my 91 coupe. It's a very reliable trans and it has a pro 5.0 shifter.
It really doesn't hurt the image of the car but increases the reliability and use of the car.

Do you think mods like this will lower the value, not that I have plans of selling it. To much sentimental value.

I really want to replace the motor too... It's a non-roller.
Part of being a daily driver is reliability and getting some mpg on the freeways and cruising. I was thinking o a roller 351 swap from the 1993 - 1996 years.
The gt40/cobra heads and intake fit on it nicely and most 5.0 parts. It can even fit under the hood with the stock hood.

I want to hear your opinions on this.

Thanks.