Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > The Briefing Room
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

The Briefing Room All Non-Mustang related stuff.

Old 08-13-2013, 06:28 PM

this is the kind of stuff that peaks my interest and motivates me to get in the barn. Gregg and Bonnie stopped by yesterday on their way home from Indianapolis. Had a great dinner and got to drive this beautiful SSP.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20130811_194406_613.jpg (77.4 KB, 75 views)

for the first time since 1998 there is only two left:

1984 Oregon SP unmarked
1986 Idaho SP
Old 08-13-2013, 09:28 PM
Bobby Edwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28HopUp View Post
Members (and forum staffers!) get burnt out and turned off to the online experience over time. It's human nature, and sometimes we all need to step away from the computer. But I think most of us recognize that forum participation is just a smaller part of our hobby. Don't get me wrong - our forum continues to be a great resource tool for SSP information.

This made me think back,
One member (he was actually a Moderator) "Predator20" was very active when I first joined and very helpful in answering my many questions. Haven't heard much from him lately, hope alls well...

It is good to talk with like minded enthusiasts. Most all my friends love Mustangs but think I'm crazy spending so much time, effort and $ on "those old ragged out cop cars" lol. At least most people on here get it. Yea I'd still be doing the same thing without the forums also, but it is a Kewl place to learn (I've learned a lot from here) and to share a hobby with people who appreciate the same things.

1983 GSP#3083 Capt. C. Stallings #99 Post 41

1988 GSP#8292 Trpr R. Wilcox #799 Post 27; ACE wrecked in service with 24k miles; most documented & lowest mileage GSP

1990 GSP#0196 Trpr P. Kirkpatrick #756 Post 29

1992 GSP#2221 Trpr M. Prince #895 Post 9; “1 of 6” LoJack GSP Mustangs
Old 08-14-2013, 12:45 PM

The original Question was.
Where would you gauge your interest in SSP's/Mustangs/the hobby in general?

On a scale of one to ten......ten.
always been a Ford and Ford powered car guy
and if it was not for the early origins of this group
from another site and another time I would have
just not restored the car and just drove it as is.
When i owned Shelby's in the late 70's
I was never asked........ Is this a real Shelby
But with the CHP car I am constantly asked why
I converted a four wheel lug fox mustang to a V8
and than made it look like a police car
Doesn't matter that i have information on the window and
a brief history of the CHP/SSP Mustang!....And
I am open to Questions.......they just glazed eye over the text and
then say.......Too bad you don't have the light bar and
Numbers on the roof. which brings us back to You Guys
You Guys know Why i don't have the light bar and
Numbers on the roof
You Know.....

Old 08-14-2013, 12:49 PM

Nicely worded, Andy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoDrama43 View Post
Some just like spending time with the cars and could be just as happy with these cars and this hobby without ever logging onto the internet at all.
You bring up a good point, Jim. Our hobby is much larger than the core group of enthusiasts who are members of the SSP and police car forums. Although we are passionate about the cars, our numbers are relatively few in the car collecting world. There are many SSPs still out there in private hands whose owners never joined a forum. Look at how many known/restored SSPs are sold and we never see or hear of them again. But more SSPs will continue to pop up, and some of the owners will want to restore them (or just learn of their history). That's part of the reason why this forum was created originally. Since then, we have stayed true to our motto as listed on the main page reads:

Dedicated to the promotion, protection, and restoration of the 1982-1993 Special Service Police Mustang.

So we will continue to be a great resource for all SSP enthusiasts who want to learn more about the SSP Mustangs.

Last edited by 28HopUp; 08-14-2013 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Added the comment for Andy
Old 08-14-2013, 04:58 PM

Im the new owner of the 88 NYSP car that this thread was started about. I was out of the country until just Monday night though, and the seller of it left for a 3 week vacation yesterday morning. So we worked out the money, and Ill be picking it up in the start of september when he returns. No good pictures or a solid description until then.

I did talk with him for awhile and from what he said it sounds like the rust is mostly kept to the floor board and the parts under the car like the rear, control arms etc.

I have a 92lx coupe (non ssp) that Im getting ready to do a full 5 lug swap on, Its got less then 70k on it and its spotless and rust free. So I think all the parts coming off the 92 with end up on the 88 to address some of its rust. The seller also said he does have the full interior, so Ill figure out whats worthy of keeping, anything that isint Im pretty sure I already have sourced out.

Im only 23 with your typical school dept and things of that nature so this certainly wont be a 3 month restoration, probably a slow and steady pace over the next year or two. Id just like to bring it back to a good running and stopping car and then well get the interior and everything else sorted out.

This is all pending the condition of the body of course, the floor board is no big deal, but if its got some serious rust issues all over Ill have to rethink my plans.

Either way the car will end up in good hands and get the attenion it deserves. If anyone here whos semi local and good ay body work would be interested in helping with the floor board, Id be happy to pay you and work something out so let me know!
Old 08-14-2013, 06:12 PM

Also Im curious to what you guys think of the deal and the car.

Obviously the floor is shot, but from what you can see from the rest of the pictures it seems to look solid to me, dont see anything in the quarters or fender, looks solid around all the glass.

I picked up a 95 GT to part out that was in an accident back in the spring that spent its entire life in North East NJ. All of the underside parts were extremely rusted, but the body was rock solid and had not even a spot of rust, so im hoping this is similar.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastfords90 View Post
Also Im curious to what you guys think of the deal and the car.
It's hard to say without seeing the car in person. It seems like a good deal on a rare/desirable SSP. Hopefully the rust will not be too bad. Good luck while waiting to complete the transaction - that's a long wait to get you new SSP.

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 08-15-2013, 12:46 PM

let me say it another way. I don't gauge or measure, my interest, or the interest of others, by the numbers of posts they make, or the level of their contribution or involvement with web sites.

for the first time since 1998 there is only two left:

1984 Oregon SP unmarked
1986 Idaho SP