Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Show Info
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Show Info A place to share information on upcoming shows or other events.

Old 03-26-2011, 08:51 PM

Thanks for your input. It is greatly appreciated.

There are a few individuals in our hobby that believe simply because they own the car they can sit in a parking lot with their emergency lights flashing, while they sit around in lawn chairs and drink alcoholic beverages. In the past this has been done because they seek attention, and believe they are somehow privileged to do so simply because the car is "retired" or "not in service". They do not take into consideration that the public is watching, and formulating an opinion as to this activity. The big thing they miss is the fact that when they prescribe to this activity it reflects upon all cop car owners and the law enforcement community. Due to an increasing number of individuals raising a fuss this behavior has subsided to a degree. There used to be dozens of photographs posted on the internet but almost all have been removed which is good.

I hope the day will come when everyone, especially the owners of SSP mustangs, will conduct themselves in an appropriate manner when in the view of the public.

I agree with the statement about parades and sanctioned events. I have attended and participated in a few myself, and I bought my first SSP in 1996 also.

for the first time since 1998 there is only two left:

1984 Oregon SP unmarked
1986 Idaho SP
Old 03-26-2011, 09:03 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPI View Post
So this looks to be like trouble here but here's what I know:

1. Copcar.com has an affiliate website of pcooa.com which is called the "police car on-line owner's association" which is not Police Car Owners of America. I'm a member of the pcooa.com group again, not PCOoA. Jim Post still has never sent my PCOOA application from 1999 as he had promised in two telephone conversations.

2. Jim Post has had a checkered past with the PCOoA organization and he's been less than welcomed at Copcar.com's site due to many issues that have been addressed with the site owner of CCdC and the reason the site owner has taken the pcooa.com web address. Many collectors at CCdC have taken refuge from the EVOOA, Historical Police Honor Guard and the PCOOA due to many mis-fires in their shows and practices.

3. I get concerned when there is a parking lot light show unless it's an actual sanctioned cruise in or sanctioned show (ie Chicagoland weekend in N. Aurora, IL). This is a highly illegal hobby in the grand scheme of things and should be addressed with great caution when operating one of these vehicles. The newness of the Mustangs also give a bad image to the hobby just for being newer than 25 years in some cases (even though that's changing rapidly - 2013 and 1988 is 25 years old!). Fortunately, I drive a 1978 lime green police car to shows and it's not as apparent that it's a police car at times but I still respect the ride by covering up my markings and lighting.

Again, just adding information as I've been with this hobby since 1996.
GSPI,

Thanks and I appreciate your unbiased input (from someone who has been there, seen it, and didn't just register here today).

Quote:
Originally Posted by copcamaro View Post
I do appreciate your taking time to show this one, although I really do't see anything degrading about this one. Just my $.02 worth
If you would send more to my pre mentioned address and maybe i can find something that validates the claims!
"Thanks again"
The claims have been validated many times over, at least with respect to the parking lot shows. Again, this doesn't specifically relate to the PCOOA, but to conduct, in general, at "shows".

Please take any further comments about this to PMs.

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363
Old 03-26-2011, 11:23 PM

Old 03-28-2011, 03:28 PM

I didn't get to see all this til today, so since everyone else gets to participate I will to. :-)

I'm not a big fan of most police car shows because I think they tend to bring out an element of "cop wanna be's". The only cop car show I've ever taken my SSP to was the PCOOA show in Jeffereson City, MO in 2009 because it was hosted with the MO State Troopers Association. There were only a couple people at that show who I considered wanna-bes and they were kept in check and did not embarrass anyone that I know of. I had fun, the show was well-supported by the MO Highway Patrol and the Jeff City Police. As far as Jim Post, I've always found him to be a fair guy to deal with. I sold him a Mustang SSP a couple years ago and it was a good experience. I can't speak for other people's dealings with him, but I found him to be honest. These are just my own factual experiences!

1989 Missouri State Highway Patrol SSP Mustang - P294

www.fotki.com/mustangretriever
Old 03-28-2011, 07:16 PM

Eric,

thanks for the input. This thread got bushwacked and tried to be made into some sort of agenda about Post which it never was in the first place. What started out as a conversation about low turnout numbers at Indy turned into a debate about wanna be light shows and parades etc.

glad to hear Post doesn't tolerate it either. Hopefully everyone will give up that silly nonsense some day.

for the first time since 1998 there is only two left:

1984 Oregon SP unmarked
1986 Idaho SP
Old 03-28-2011, 07:37 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangretriever View Post
I didn't get to see all this til today, so since everyone else gets to participate I will to. :-)

I'm not a big fan of most police car shows because I think they tend to bring out an element of "cop wanna be's". The only cop car show I've ever taken my SSP to was the PCOOA show in Jeffereson City, MO in 2009 because it was hosted with the MO State Troopers Association. There were only a couple people at that show who I considered wanna-bes and they were kept in check and did not embarrass anyone that I know of. I had fun, the show was well-supported by the MO Highway Patrol and the Jeff City Police. As far as Jim Post, I've always found him to be a fair guy to deal with. I sold him a Mustang SSP a couple years ago and it was a good experience. I can't speak for other people's dealings with him, but I found him to be honest. These are just my own factual experiences!
Amen. Would these be the guys who constantly play with the lights and sirens in their cars because they can??

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoDrama43 View Post
Eric,

thanks for the input. This thread got bushwacked and tried to be made into some sort of agenda about Post which it never was in the first place. What started out as a conversation about low turnout numbers at Indy turned into a debate about wanna be light shows and parades etc.

glad to here Post doesn't tolerate it either. Hopefully everyone will give up that silly nonsense some day.
I'm the one who first brought up the issues with the PCOOA, since I'm aware of the negative implications associated with the group. Your comments about the light parade are right in-line with my beliefs. It wasn't an attack on the founder, but it's info that needs to be discussed, and not blindly promoted here.

I think that about covers it.

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363