Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Show Info
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Show Info A place to share information on upcoming shows or other events.

Closed Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 03:39 PM

Default MCA Question

Hello - Did the MCA start an SSP Class? I know some controversy existed around this a couple years ago but wasn't sure. Noticed in my Mustang Times that arrived yesterday they showed an SSP Class for the 45th in Alabama. Wasn't sure if that was a special situation given it was the 45th celebration. Thanks.

PS: They had a couple photos show SSP's, which I'll post to the periodical section of my Fotki site in the next couple days.

1992 Michigan State Police SSP Mustang #5114
1993 Wisconsin State Patrol SSP Mustang
1993 Missouri State Highway Patrol SSP Mustang P641

http://members.fotki.com/MOstang/
Old 06-02-2009, 03:53 PM

MCA told me if we had a min of 20 Mustang SVOs pre-registered for the 45th, then they would have assigned us a reserved SVO specific parking area like the SSPs had. AFAIK, there was no specific SSP judged class at the 45th - but I could be wrong.

I do know MCA has NO SVO specific concours judging standard which would be sooo much easier to write than one for SSPs - seeing how cars vary so much from one agency to the next and no agency has ever had an exact equipment standard for any of their in service cars.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonafide View Post
no agency has ever had an exact equipment standard for any of their in service cars.

incorrect. CHP has had an exact standard for years.

as for judging an SSP car. The criteria should not include any agency installed equipment. It should however include SSP specific equipment from the factory i.e cert speedo, buck tags, door tag with dso, remote trunk release, full size spare, spare tire cover etc etc. To try and have judging criteria based on emergency equipment would be a huge mistake.

for the first time since 1998 there is only two left:

1984 Oregon SP unmarked
1986 Idaho SP
Old 06-03-2009, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoDrama43 View Post
incorrect. CHP has had an exact standard for years.
Yeah .. ok.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Yeah .. ok.
not busting your bones Bonafide just wanted to make sure that on this site we don't publish misinformation or incorrect data.

Many agencies have standard equipment configurations for their vehicles. FHP is an example however of an agency that just put the stuff wherever the local shop wanted it. Then the troops could add even more stuff as they pleased. Many police departments , and even some Federal Agencies allow the assigned officer to "personalize" their ride. (I installed XM Radio in mine).

To try and create an equipment standard for judges to follow would be a nighmare as there are so many variations. I have had several conversations with the MCA and believe the day will come when we have our own class however it will most likely be limited to manufacturer installed options and equipment.

1984 Oregon SP unmarked
1986 Idaho SP
Old 06-03-2009, 12:19 PM

Quote:
not busting your bones Bonafide just wanted to make sure that on this site we don't publish misinformation or incorrect data.
Unless you have a list of the actual equipment standards from the person who was in charge of purchasing for each individual vehicle/fleet - then allow for changes from suppliers and manufacturers per order as well as year to year - then it's not me publishing the misinformation or incorrect data.

I do equipment ordering for my agency, and at times it's absolutely impossible to duplicate equipment orders and configs to our agency standard.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:06 PM
Admin

Quote:
Unless you have a list of the actual equipment standards from the person who was in charge of purchasing for each individual vehicle/fleet - then allow for changes from suppliers and manufacturers per order as well as year to year - then it's not me publishing the misinformation or incorrect data.

I do equipment ordering for my agency, and at times it's absolutely impossible to duplicate equipment orders and configs to our agency standard.
You might want to do a little more research first, before putting out incorrect info and then not listening to someone who has been in the hobby for longer than 2 months.

http://www.specialservicemustang.net/MTM.pdf

That's the '92 version of CHP's Motor Transport Manual, directly from CHP. There are no "changes from suppliers" etc. etc. etc., since alot of the equipment used for the '82's on was specially made for CHP, per their specs.

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363
Old 06-03-2009, 07:11 PM
Admin

Quote:
To try and create an equipment standard for judges to follow would be a nighmare as there are so many variations. I have had several conversations with the MCA and believe the day will come when we have our own class however it will most likely be limited to manufacturer installed options and equipment.
I agree to a point, but maybe a "period correct" standard?

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363
Old 06-03-2009, 07:53 PM

Quote:

CHP ordered a "pilot car" SSP mustang every year. One car ordered to their specs that was built, shipped, and inspected prior to them ordering the rest of the cars for the fleet. I have the ORIGINAL documents in my possession. EVERY car was equipped FROM THE MANUFACTURER the same. Upon arrival the cars were inspected by motor transport for compliance to ordering specs then sent down the CHP assembly line to be equipped. A perfect example of "exact equipment standard" would be the CCI light controller. It was manufactured by Federal Signal exclusively for CHP. That is about as exact an equipment standard as you can get. If you want to contact my personal friend that has worked at CHP motor transport for over 25 years let me know.

I also order equipment for my agency, including cars. I don't accept cars delivered that are out of specs or not what I ordered.

in your original post you wrote "no agency has ever had an exact equipment standard for any of their in service cars." Your statement is incorrect, period, and the fact that you order equipment in 2009 has no bearing or relevence to what CHP has done for decades. I was merely correcting your mistatement nothing more.

1984 Oregon SP unmarked
1986 Idaho SP
Old 06-03-2009, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImEvil1 View Post
You might want to do a little more research first, before putting out incorrect info and then not listening to someone who has been in the hobby for longer than 2 months.
Please dont pretend you know what you're talking about. I can scan our policy manual as it pertains to equipment for vehicles as well, and as I already pointed out - BY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE - there is not an absolute when dealing/ordering from suppliers and manufacturers for equipment. It is impossible to produce large numbers of fleet cars EXACTLY the same for consecutive years. There WILL be inconsistencies. All you're showing me by trying to use a copy of SOP, is that you have NEVER been in Law Enforcement.

Why should I search something I've personally lived thru and dealt with - and continue to deal with? I've been IN the Mustang hobby world since the early 80s and IN Law Enforcement for 22 yrs - as well as owning a NEW 1991 SSP in 1991. You guys have this standpoint that you know every thing concerning (cop)cars and the fact remains, you are not the be all to end all when it comes to them and the hobby. Well, other than your reputations as a group proceeds you. Absolutely amazes me when someone counters yalls opinions, it dips from your end to insults and condescension.