Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Agency-Specific Restoration
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Agency-Specific Restoration Have an Agency-Specific question? This is the place.

Old 06-03-2009, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImEvil1 View Post
Nah...I gave those up with my last marked unit.

No push bumpers or spotlights, either.

I still have all that at work....... I doubt they will let me drive an unmarked. Maybe if I get promoted to Captain?

for the first time since 1998 there is only two left:

1984 Oregon SP unmarked
1986 Idaho SP
Old 06-03-2009, 12:33 PM

Mike.C
I think the what you should have said from the get-go is
i have a letter from a the CHP allowing me to display CHP
decals on my restoration....... basically common sense in writing
when you use the term Sanctioned restoration it kinda cheapens
everyone else's efforts and i know there is allot a nice chp/ssp
cars around (not mine) Also the term sanctioned seems to give
a ((CHP Approved)) status when in reality all were talking
about here is a set of decals.
why the secret Master switch? you play with the lights/siren
or you don't or in my case you don't even connect them up.
Old 06-03-2009, 01:38 PM
mac88chp
This message has been deleted by predator20. Reason: Mike, if you have a problem with it PM me.
Old 06-03-2009, 03:04 PM

Let's take it easy Gentlemen. We are all HERE for the same reason.

1993 FHP 813
1986 UHP SSP slicktop- Getting there little by little.
1993 Floyd Co Ga\Rome Ga pd SSP SOLD

E
ven grief recedes with time, but we must Never Forget. 9-11-01

Mustang Club of America member.
Old 06-03-2009, 03:05 PM

Just to add to what Mike C. said, it's been well over 5 years since CHP stopped giving permission for decals. When they were approving decal usage they would deny anyone out of state since there was no way for them to enforce their usage. Way back in the 90's CHP would even send you the decals with their approval letter. The offical line is this all changed after 9/11.

The California vehicle code states something to the effect that no vehicle built after 1/1/79 may be painted to resemble a police vehicle, so technically all SSPs are prohibited. There are exceptions for cars belonging to dealers, manufacturers and movie companies. There is no exception for privately owned collector cars. I'm lucky that like Mike I've had permission for my cars from way back so we would be allowed to have the cars painted and the decals and lights installed but covered while on the road. The only people who are approved now are CHP employees.

The gray area is that CHP will invite restored cars to participate in their open houses, retirees days, etc and never ask if the cars are approved. Like most large agencies the right hand may not know what the left is doing. The new comissioner is more "old car friendly" but I don't see anyone changing the policy out of fear of liability.

I both drive and trailer my cars and I've never been stopped. I've found passing Chippies will give a thumbs up and some even take pictures when I'm driving my '67 Oldsmobile. I haven't been stopped in my Mustang but the reaction is much more reserved, almost suspicious. I guess the difference is due to the Mustang looking like a much more modern car.

Since I have written permission I'll continue to drive my cars (properly covered) to close shows and trailer to others but it would be a different story without permission.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:53 PM
1985 CHP/NEV SSP'S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
O.K. It looks to me that I need a letter from the CHP in order to drive my car on a public road if I wish to do so. I want ANYONE ON THIS SITE to give me the proper contacts at the CHP to get this letter. I will go to Sacramento In person tomorrow to get the letter if need be. Keep in mind I do not work for the CHP. I want to see If ANYONE speaks up and gives me any contact information. I will bet that NOBODY will give me any contact info. I will sit back and be waiting for the response to this posting. Lets just see what happens???????...............Also if anybody does not want to post a reply here PLEASE PM ME!!!
1985 California Highway Patrol #8336 Napa Ca office.

1985 Nevada Highway Patrol #30. Federal Test Car. Reno Nv office.

California Highway Patrol#8336 & Nevada Highway Patrol #30 Restoration Pictures.

http://public.fotki.com/CHP8336/
Old 06-03-2009, 09:02 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHP8336 View Post
O.K. It looks to me that I need a letter from the CHP in order to drive my car on a public road if I wish to do so. I want ANYONE ON THIS SITE to give me the proper contacts at the CHP to get this letter. I will go to Sacramento In person tomorrow to get the letter if need be. Keep in mind I do not work for the CHP. I want to see If ANYONE speaks up and gives me any contact information. I will bet that NOBODY will give me any contact info. I will sit back and be waiting for the response to this posting. Lets just see what happens???????...............Also if anybody does not want to post a reply here PLEASE PM ME!!!
Rich,

A letter from CHP only authorizes decal usage...not for you to drive on a public road.

I called CHP a couple of years ago, and they said then that they will only give permission to current CHP, retired CHP, and LEOs from other states.

That may have changed since then, so who knows. I called the public relations office, and I'm sure you can google them and find it easily.

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363
Old 06-03-2009, 09:31 PM
CHiPster

Rich, I bet if you wrapped the doors in black you could drive all day the car. Even for months, then take the wrap off for a show. Bad part is you would need to continue to wrap and un-wrap the car if you wanted it as a daily driver as well. I know that is not your thing but maybe another could use this info.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:12 AM
Andy
This message has been deleted by predator20. Reason: Andy, if you have a problem with it PM me.
Old 06-04-2009, 02:19 AM
1985 CHP/NEV SSP'S

Quote:
FYI Members,I am now aware that the (CHP letter) is allowing you to use the CHP emblem for display on your car. I am still waiting for a response to my post asking ANYONE on this site to give me the proper contacts at the CHP so I can get the LETTER of approval. Just as I stated in my earlier post NOBODY on this site with this letter has posted or sent me a private message with this information. WHY??? I dont understand??? I feel as though we all need to help each other with various issues we will all run into with this hobby we have. If I had a LETTER from the CHP I would share the CHP contact information with EVERYONE on this site. I also think that the CHP should determin who will get a emblem use letter.

I have owned my 1985 CHP car for 23 years and I have all the documentation on my car since it was new. If anybody has any questions on 1985 CHP cars PLEASE feel free to emal me here and I will give you my phone number if you wish. Rich
1985 California Highway Patrol #8336 Napa Ca office.

1985 Nevada Highway Patrol #30. Federal Test Car. Reno Nv office.

California Highway Patrol#8336 & Nevada Highway Patrol #30 Restoration Pictures.

http://public.fotki.com/CHP8336/
Old 06-04-2009, 07:49 AM
CHiPster

Rich I feel your pain just not as bad since I am in Florida. Wish I could help you.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:06 AM

Quote:
FYI Members,I am now aware that the (CHP letter) is allowing you to use the CHP emblem for display on your car. I am still waiting for a response to my post asking ANYONE on this site to give me the proper contacts at the CHP so I can get the LETTER of approval. Just as I stated in my earlier post NOBODY on this site with this letter has posted or sent me a private message with this information. WHY??? I dont understand??? I feel as though we all need to help each other with various issues we will all run into with this hobby we have. If I had a LETTER from the CHP I would share the CHP contact information with EVERYONE on this site. I also think that the CHP should determin who will get a emblem use letter.

I have owned my 1985 CHP car for 23 years and I have all the documentation on my car since it was new. If anybody has any questions on 1985 CHP cars PLEASE feel free to emal me here and I will give you my phone number if you wish. Rich
Rich,

I never had a letter from them to own the decals as I live in Ohio. I would think that Mac88 could give you the info you need. Mike C are you out here?

for the first time since 1998 there is only two left:

1984 Oregon SP unmarked
1986 Idaho SP