Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > 1982-1986 Special Service Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1982-1986 Special Service Mustangs The 4-eyed cars.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
I'd say it's kind of a shame not to put it back. I could see doing it all black, and if someone wanted they can repaint the white and have it back correct, but painting it to represent another agency is a bit of a misnomer. Part of the appeal of these cars is hunting for them, finding the right agency, and then when you do putting it back correctly. If you don't like the OK HP car, consider selling it and looking for the agency you do want. With enough looking you could come up with a DPS or CHP car eventually, and then restore those correctly.
+5

86 CHP Unit #3852
86 Texas DPS M6-383
93 Texas DPS M3-379
93 Cobra Teal #2304 (sold)
03 Cobra 10th Annv.Conv.
Old 03-31-2012, 02:13 AM

Ok ok black and white it is now does anyone have some pics of what the interior should look like and what equipment it should have i need to get a list of what im going to have to hunt for
Old 03-31-2012, 10:39 AM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdan View Post
Ok ok black and white it is now does anyone have some pics of what the interior should look like and what equipment it should have i need to get a list of what im going to have to hunt for
Your best bet is to make some phone calls to the agency. They might be able to put you in touch with someone who can help.

BTW.....Your car is/was equipped with an AOD, just like the in-service pic shows.

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363
Old 03-31-2012, 11:02 AM

idk how other states are but okla agencys dont know or dont care and i know about the aod its has a carbed 302 and c4 now not my doing btw the equipment i ment was all the police stuff
Old 03-31-2012, 11:38 AM
Admin

Quote:
idk how other states are but okla agencys dont know or dont care and i know about the aod its has a carbed 302 and c4 now not my doing btw the equipment i ment was all the police stuff
Sounds like you just need to talk to the right person.

I know what equipment you meant. I asked about the AOD in the other thread to help you confirm what your car is (every little bit helps).

Unfortunately, it's not always easy to figure out what was in the car. Places like radioreference.com can help with historical radio info, but you are going to have to do some research to figure out the rest.

Good luck with it.

Mike

'83 Texas DPS
Old 03-31-2012, 12:09 PM

ah ic it should have a aod and fuel injection right?
Old 03-31-2012, 12:10 PM

who do you think i need to try to talk to and what should i ask
Old 03-31-2012, 12:13 PM
Admin

Quote:
ah ic it should have a aod and fuel injection right?
Right. The OK cars were AOD/CFI equipped.

Mike

'83 Texas DPS
Old 03-31-2012, 12:14 PM
Admin

Quote:
who do you think i need to try to talk to and what should i ask
Ask the next "seasoned" OK trooper you run into. Someone, somewhere there remembers the cars (or maybe even drove one).

Mike

'83 Texas DPS
Old 03-31-2012, 12:36 PM
...Gathering Parts

Ok, I thought that there was no FI until 1986 for SSP's. Good info that I've learned.

Superdan, you definitely have to be careful on what you say and how since you will be responsible for any activity with your car if you are restoring it to an in-service look. Understand that you can only show the vehicle in it's marked condition and with the lights and such only during a sanctioned event, not everyday. People get the wrong impression at times and you need to be aware. If this is too much responsibility for this project, then paint it black and try to get it back to the way it was when delivered minus the emergency equipment.

If and when you ask OSP, you need to find a historian. Make sure you ask for that person or someone in OSP that would normally have that type of information since you are trying to do research on one of their former Mustangs. That is a good starting point. If you have troopers that you know, it wouldn't hurt to ask them if they know about those cars or if they know someone that did use them while in service or even the fleet garage if they had anyone that used to work on them. You can ask them about what was normally used in their cars (electronics, emergency lighting, etc), what were some common things that they had as equipment in the trunk (flares, cones, whatever). Where there programs that made use of these cars or were they just a normal patrol rotation...and I'm sure you can think of a few more.

A final suggestion and please don't take offense when I say this, make sure if you are doing any written or typed correspondence with the departments, refrain from your "texting" based responses that you are doing here on the board and fully type out and make sure you spell everything correctly and use good grammar. If someone in a department gets something of the texting type lingo, they won't take you seriously. I know because I field requests like this with the Museum that I am a board member of.

Good luck.