Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Welcome!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Welcome! New Member/Visitor area. Feel free to post up any questions you have about the site or the forums.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:09 AM

Default Noob from Shelton, WA

My name is Charles, thus my user name. I am from Washington State, Shelton specifically and currently I have never owned an SSP of any kind. But I am hoping that will change in the near future. After seeing an SSP that is owned by a fellow member from here (RHINO), I decided that an SSP is a must have.

My ultimate goal is to get a 92/93 SSP with the 5 speed gearbox with all available options as soon as my finances allow me to. I am not worried about whether it was a marked/unmarked unit as long as the body is straight and there are no issues with it. I am hoping to find a dark blue one with tinted windows.... there is something about a dark blue car I have always had a soft spot for.

Dont get me wrong, I'd take a marked one with all the correct equipment any day of the week, just as long as its from an agency that is nowhere near where I am at (example: CHP)

I know some basics on them such as to authenticate it as an SSP by the DSO tags under the hood and the 160mph certified calibration speedometer, but I am here to get enough information to determine the quality of the car I'd be acquiring.

What are the tech specs of an SSP in the model years I am looking to get? Like MPG, HP, Top Speed and such?

Anyways, that is a little about me and what my plans are. Thank you for allowing me to become a member here and I hope to learn a lot from you guys here. Just in case you're wondering what my current vehicle is, its a 1995 Crown Victoria ex-police car. It has 2.73s with traclock and is quite peppy when getting on the freeways. I usually get around 400 miles to the tank with it. I know the car is comfortable, but I want something that will handle superbly and be fun to drive.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:18 AM

Charles ,
You should be able to gather all the info you need on this site and then some !! Good luck on your search of the correct SSP.

I have a Royal Blue USPS SSP 4-Sale but it's an Automatic....

1992 PO.Oregon Police, Bimini Blue, Unit #85655,
Plate #SMY174 Unmarked, Served Central,North,
East Precinct until Aug 2000.
1988 Colorado State Patrol,Unit #246,DSO 76, Glenwood Springs CO.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:38 AM

Hi Charles,

Welcome to the forum! There's a lot of good information here, especially off the main page of the site. I'll have to let the more knowledgable members chime in on the exact specs for the 92-93 vintage SSP's. If you find a particular SSP for sale that you like, feel free to ask specific questions about it. We recently had a new member inquire about an 85 SSP he found, but the car was actually an 86 that had a title for an 84 with a different VIN. The input he rec'd here allowed him to make a better-informed decision about the car. That's the kind of stuff we're here for.

As a voice of experience, I suggest that you decide if you want a permanently marked car or not. Cars with lights and logos need to have those things covered up in order to drive it on the street, regardless of its original jurisdiction. I decided to not paint my CHP as a B&W in order to drive the car on the street as much as possible, and I have the CHP logos on magnetic material for display purposes (I keep the lights covered and inoperable while driving too). But marked SSP's are certainly fun to own as well.

There's an 88 Oregon SSP for sale in TN that looks to be very nice (still an aero car, but it's not blue). The logos are on magnets, and the price certainly seems fair.

Good luck on your search!

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 07-21-2010, 01:05 PM

Smile Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssp91ssp View Post
I have a Royal Blue USPS SSP 4-Sale but it's an Automatic....
Welcome to the forum! Great info and people here to help. When you mentioned blue 92/93 I thought of Hector's Royal Blue SSP for sale although not sure how much the auto/manual trans piece matters or not. It's a cool color and doesn't seem to be very common on SSP's.

1992 Michigan State Police SSP Mustang #5114
1993 Wisconsin State Patrol SSP Mustang
1993 Missouri State Highway Patrol SSP Mustang P641

http://members.fotki.com/MOstang/
Old 07-21-2010, 03:11 PM

It's a personal preference really. I like the feel of being in control of what gears I need to be in, given the situation. Don't get me wrong, I would take one with the AOD just as fast as s 5 speed. I would be an idiot not to.

Where can I see more pics of this Royal Blue one I keep hearing about?

Is there a members ride section with tons of pics I can look at?
Old 07-21-2010, 03:18 PM

Hector has a bad link in his siggy to his photo hosting account. Here's his USPS SSP -

http://s558.photobucket.com/albums/s...%20USPS%20SSP/

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 07-21-2010, 07:15 PM

Wow, that is a beautiful piece of machinery.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28HopUp View Post
Hector has a bad link in his siggy to his photo hosting account. Here's his USPS SSP -

http://s558.photobucket.com/albums/s...%20USPS%20SSP/
Thanks , Bill.

1992 PO.Oregon Police, Bimini Blue, Unit #85655,
Plate #SMY174 Unmarked, Served Central,North,
East Precinct until Aug 2000.
1988 Colorado State Patrol,Unit #246,DSO 76, Glenwood Springs CO.
Old 07-22-2010, 03:42 PM

Welcome Charles! Yes, Hector has a beautiful USPS car - and with a unique history that few SSPs have (with the postal service). A superb car if you are able to snag it.

As for the 5 speed vs. AOD, it's a personal preference. I have both, and to be honest, I sort of like the AODs when cruising - just less to think about while enjoying the ride in convoy.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:18 PM
Admin

Welcome to the site, Charles.

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363