Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Agency-Specific Restoration
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Agency-Specific Restoration Have an Agency-Specific question? This is the place.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-30-2012, 08:21 PM

Default Your experience as an SSP owner w/diff't Agencies

Thought I'd start off a thread that I cannot recall seeing in one contained thread here previously. The topic..."tell us about your experience interfacing with a specific agency during the endeavor to document a vehicle's history and/or return it to in-service specs as a collector/show vehicle". We've read various posts here over the years.

Some have been real good experiences, while some have not been so good and in some cases it differs depending upon the person contacted withing a specific agency. In my case I've had one degree of interaction or another with 4 different agencies: Missouri State Highway Patrol (MSHP), North Carolina State Highway Patrol (NCSHP), Minnesota State Patrol (MNSP) and Michigan State Police (MSP).

I don't think that I've read about any legitimate collector/restorer in this hobby having a bad interaction with the MSHP. My experiences have been top notch and they are real supportive of those of us in the hobby. I've been fortunate enough to have established a good relationship with the Trooper who drove my 93 MSHP while it was in-service (he was just promoted to Captain this past summer). The last 2 Superintendents (Colonels) have provided me permission letters, the opprotunity to source emblems through their supplier and the latest permission letter extends of the life of my ownership of the vehicle. I can't say enough good things about them.

My route to making helpful contact with the NCSHP was an interesting round-a-bout way but he turned out to be helpful and as an equipment installer his memory was nothing short of amazing on how they equipped the SSPs. I was also given the opportunity to comb over and photograph at length their historic vehicles kept in Raleigh at the time (including the SSP). Not sure if he's still there as retirement was looming for him a couple years ago. I've heard from others about mixed experiences (both good and bad).

The MN State Patrol has an individual who's a real historic minded individual and maintains a website in that spirit. He was exceedingly helpful and real pleasant to deal with. Similarly I've heard of people who have had mixed experiences, but again I think it real boils down to the individual contact we make and as is sometimes mentioned "some are car guys and some are not and those who are not don't really get this whole hobby". Bob can chime in on his experiences with the MN State Patrol.

With regard to the Michigan State Police thus far my interactions are primiarly limited to those I've had at various car events I've had one of the SSPs at. In some cases Troopers have been there in official capacity and in some case outside of their work time. All of those interactions have been very positive. From my discussions with evocbruce he indicated having had real positive interactions with them and that is evident by the historical documentation and items he received during the restoration.

It would be interesting to hear from others on the forum on your experiences too...thanks in advance for sharing.

1992 Michigan State Police SSP Mustang #5114
1993 Wisconsin State Patrol SSP Mustang
1993 Missouri State Highway Patrol SSP Mustang P641

http://members.fotki.com/MOstang/