Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Agency-Specific Restoration
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Agency-Specific Restoration Have an Agency-Specific question? This is the place.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:35 AM

Default California DMV Registration Info

This was posted on another forum, and I felt it was too important to not share here as well. I don't think the OP (E435300_SMPV) posts here any more. In a discussion about "POLICE" being written on CA DMV titles, Ken brought up that he successfully contacted CA DMV to request the Vehicle Registration Information Record for his CHP Mustang. Here is a quote of the two posts (combined/shortened) that he made on ORG:

Quote:
Originally Posted by E435300_SMPV View Post
Mine has the "Prior Police" on the Reg. Just to add if anyone knew about this. I had CA DMV run a History report on my mustang the other day and there it was, my E-plate number. In the history it also gave the prior License plate number too. I wasn't sure what would be listed on the history since everything is confidential. The cost is only $5. Here is the link.
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/inf/inf1125.pdf

For $5. can't hurt.

As stated, the DMV information listed the original CHP license plate number for his car. As most CHP guys know, the last four digits of that original "E plate" is the CHP Unit Number for that vehicle. So if anyone owns a CHP but does not know their Unit Number, then contacting DMV in this manner may get them the info they need.

Thanks Ken for the info!

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 05-05-2010, 11:16 AM
Admin

Thanks for posting that up, Bill. Toshi (stadair) are you getting this?? You might finally be able to solve your mystery with this info.

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363
Old 05-05-2010, 11:24 AM

Thanks for the quick edit Mike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImEvil1 View Post
Thanks for posting that up, Bill. Toshi (stadair) are you getting this?? You might finally be able to solve your mystery with this info.
That's who I was trying to think of - Toshi! I knew there was somebody else out there looking for info on their CHP.

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 05-05-2010, 09:22 PM

Default Good info

I got my unit number but i would like to see what info they will give me about my 93 ,thanks for info joe
Old 05-08-2010, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImEvil1 View Post
I'm looking at my DMV Vehicle Reg. Info...

The records of mine they gave me only go back to 2000. It does give me a LIC#: 4LIA171. And of course it gives me two names of previous owners; the guy whom I bought it from and the guy he bought it from. That info corresponds to my carfax. The unknown is still from when it was first shipped to whomever December 7, 1992 when the first title was issued to 2000. I also know it passed emissions testing February 21, 1994. But that is it.

'93 SSP
'90 LX 'vert - Sold
'87 LX hatch (parted out)
'88 LX 'vert (should have never)
'83 GL hatch (college car, long gone)
Old 07-16-2010, 09:05 AM

UPDATE:

A while back I ponied up the $5 and sent off my check and completed form using the above link. About a month ago I received a letter from California DMV. You can imagine my excitement as I was opening the letter. Sadly, they returned my uncashed check and included a form letter that my request was not processed because I did not complete the correct form. Thankfully they included the correct form, which was identified as "REQUEST FOR VR/VESSEL RECORD INFORMATION".

In the form's instructions, it sounded as though they would only process my request if I met their requirement for having a legitimate reason. After reading over the choices they listed, I wrote that I was restoring a former CHP vehicle and I needed to ensure that the vehicle was never reported stolen.

So yesterday's mail bought me another envelope from California DMV, but this time they had processed my request and included the vehicle registration information for my car's time in California.

I blocked out the first part of my VIN, and I also removed the names of the previous owners (except the CHP of course). But I learned that I am the 8th owner of my car (I bought the car from the brother of the last name listed).

But of more importance, as Ken said in earlier posts, the records include my car's CHP unit number and its first license number. For those CHP-owning members here who do not know their CHP Unit Number, they may benefit from getting a copy of their vehicle registration record from the California DMV.

stadair, is the form I posted the same one you received for your car? It would be nice to solve the mystery of your car.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:03 PM

That's great info...thanks for posting it.

1992 Michigan State Police SSP Mustang #5114
1993 Wisconsin State Patrol SSP Mustang
1993 Missouri State Highway Patrol SSP Mustang P641

http://members.fotki.com/MOstang/
Old 07-16-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOstang View Post
That's great info...thanks for posting it.
+ one...... Bill.......you always unearth the Good Stuff!
Old 07-17-2010, 10:23 AM

Bill,
thanks for sharing the info ...

1992 PO.Oregon Police, Bimini Blue, Unit #85655,
Plate #SMY174 Unmarked, Served Central,North,
East Precinct until Aug 2000.
1988 Colorado State Patrol,Unit #246,DSO 76, Glenwood Springs CO.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:41 PM

Bill,

Yes, that is the same document I received. I scanned and tried to post, but file was too big. Here it is:

R/O History:
Purchase/Application: 00/00/00
Owner ISS: 07/01/00 Reg ISS: 06/21/00
Prior R/O:
City:

Current Owner:

Purchase/Appication: 08/28/00
Owner ISS: 09/28/00
Reg ISS: 05/16/01
R/O: (The guy I bought it from)

Rec Status:
10/03/02 registered out of state (went to Las Vegas)
09/20/00 smog due 06/22/02

08/28/2000-odometer: 95,674 miles actual mileage
End of data

No mention of CHP like yours.

'93 SSP
'90 LX 'vert - Sold
'87 LX hatch (parted out)
'88 LX 'vert (should have never)
'83 GL hatch (college car, long gone)