Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Agency-Specific Restoration
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Agency-Specific Restoration Have an Agency-Specific question? This is the place.

Old 03-04-2009, 09:54 AM

Default Delaware State Police SSP's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri22NJ View Post
Im in the process of restoring my 87 Delaware state ssp unmarked 1 of 10 ever used. Does anybody have pictures or any inside information about these cars. I Googled Delaware SSP but not to much info. I will post some pictures of mine. Thanks, Brian blogthis86@live.com
Brian,

As a follow up to your inquiry in another thread, my friend who is a Delaware State Trooper suggested that I call the DSP Museum (302/739-7700), which I did on 2/25/2009. The man there is retired DSP, and he remembers the SSP Mustangs. He said that the ten cars were purchased as a test, but the DSP did not find that the SSP Mustangs met their needs. Topigraphically, Delaware is hilly in the northern part, with curvy/twisty roads. Downstate, the terrain is much flatter and the roads are straighter. Plus, Delaware has only 40 miles (+/-) of Interstate. Most of the 1987 SSP's were used in the southern Delaware Troops, specifically Troops 4, 5, and 7. The remaining SSP's were kept at HQ in Dover for use by higher ranking officers. Other problems cited with the SSP's were their appetite for gas. I have read elsewere that the DSP also complained about the driver's seatbacks breaking, and also that the SSP's were considered a fair weather only vehicle, which meant the cars were not used when the roads were wet or snowy.

The man from the museum said that they did not have any pictures there of the DSP SSP's - only one of the few marked Camaros. He remembered that none of the SSP's were marked; they were used for traffic enforcement. As such, they most likely had radar units installed. He had no idea on the radio equipment that was used in the SSP's, other than "most likely Motorolla".

The man at the museum gave me another contact who is also retired DSP and is into cars. If I can learn anything more from this individual, I will certainly put you two in contact with each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri22NJ View Post
Bill & Mike,
Thank you so much for all the help you guys and the rest of the SSP community provided me with. I love Mustangs a lot, but this one is a really special Mustang that has a lot of history to it. I just got this SSP 3 weeks ago and I had no Idea how rare this car is. The owner told me it was a Delaware police car. He didnt tell me it was a State police car with a orginal title . I did some futher reseach on the net after I bought it. I lucked out. The car hasnt run since 2002. The guy said it might need a motor. When I got it I looked it over and found 3 shorted relays. One was in the motor compartment and one was located by the computer "ECM". Now the car has spark and fresh gas.........put.....put......BANG with 235k on the clock. It left dual posi marks down my two year old driveway.Runs great now.
To make a long story short, last summer I did a air conditioning service call at one of my customers and seen the mustang laying in the drive way. This winter he lost his job at Citi Bank and gave me a call up wondering if I wanted to buy the car. The following weekend it was in my driveway for $1600. This car is all stock right down to the black 10 hole rims. The car has dark blue paint with blue cloth interior. The auto trans is a so-so but will remain the same. I plan on restoring it back to orignal state as if it was still in service with Delaware. I have about 90% of the parts now thanks to ebay, foxbody restore and others. The car should be completed by mid summer. I will keep everybody posted with picture and info when the snow clears here. Thanks again, Brian

Brian,

Here is the email I received from retired DSP Trooper B. Beck -

The Delaware State Police purchased 11 "five-oh" Mustangs in 1987. Ten were for patrol; one for the Superintendent. His was a fastback. They remained in patrol until one of our troopers was seriously injured in a head-on on I-95. The trooper was driving a Dodge Diplomat; but, the prevailing thought was that had he been in a Mustang, he would have been killed. So, all 10 were re-assigned to non-patrol personnel. Yes, all were unmarked, and remained so until disposed of by auction. The tell-tale black wheels gave them away as police cars.
If I may be on more help in your endeavor, please contact me.

More good information! Obviously, the eleventh 5.0L Mustang was a regular LX hatchback used by the Superintendent and the other ten were SSP's.

I remember when that Trooper was seriously injured from the head-on collision. The suspect reversed direction on I-95 and purposely slammed her car into the Trooper's Dodge Diplomat at high speed (in the era before airbags). The large car, and the Trooper's bullet-proof vest were credited for saving his life.

Brian, I will put you in touch with this retired Trooper. He may know of another retired or active-duty DSP Trooper who could assist you with the preservation of your relatively rare SSP.

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 03-10-2009, 10:23 AM
87 Delaware SSP Owner

Smile 1987 Delaware SSP Mustang Restoration Pictures In Progress

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10525639@N04/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10525639@N04/
Old 03-10-2009, 12:44 PM

Looks like a great starting point from the pics! Interior is clean.
Old 03-10-2009, 02:39 PM
87 Delaware SSP Owner

Thanks,
I just back inside from working on it. It got really cold out. Pep Boys And Autozone must love me. I'm trying to correct all the headlight wire mess that was all hacked up with black ductape. Thanks for the nice comment. One day at a time. LOL
Old 03-10-2009, 07:56 PM

please put up some pics of it!
Old 03-10-2009, 08:23 PM

I concur!
Old 03-10-2009, 09:47 PM
87 Delaware SSP Owner

Thank guys,
Lot of hard work. My hands and back are killing me !! I'm taking a couple of days off. It should be done by June or July without rushing. Pictures are in the post. More pictures will come in the process. Thanks, Brian

1987 LX Coupe Delaware SSP Auto Blue/Blue
1989 Gt Convertible 5 Speed Black / Grey
Old 03-11-2009, 09:25 AM

What does A Delaware MArked SSp look like anyway?
Old 03-11-2009, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowMurci View Post
What does A Delaware Marked SSP look like anyway?
All 10 of Delaware's 1987 SSP's were unmarked units. They were also different colors (either ordered that way or repainted while in-service).

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 03-11-2009, 12:48 PM
87 Delaware SSP Owner

Today I just bought a K-55 Radar off Ebay. He still has many more left. They are all reconditioned also. I need to find out what type of radio equipment was used. I wrote an email to DSP to try to find out more information.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=150331020354

1987 LX Coupe Delaware SSP Auto Blue/Blue
1989 Gt Convertible 5 Speed Black / Grey