Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > 1982-1986 Special Service Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

1982-1986 Special Service Mustangs The 4-eyed cars.

Old 11-03-2011, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXNODRAMANOTCH View Post
If you mean "hood insulation" by "Hood Insulator" you can take that off your list, as 1986 SSPs did not come with hood insulation. Both of the 86s I have owned did not have it (the 1989 SSP that I presently own does not have it either). The local 93 SSP with 1,400 original miles also is without one. The pre-86 SSPs may have, but I can't say for sure.
Good to know! Check that part off my list!

Thanks!
Old 11-03-2011, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImEvil1 View Post
Congrats, David.

I have some of the stuff you need. Sorry I missed your call the other day; I've been out of town for work. We'll catch up soon.
No prob! Just give me a shout when you have some time! The SSP is getting ready for paint, so don't take TOO long!
Old 11-08-2011, 11:49 AM

I read the comments over at CCdC. Frankly, I get tired of all the clown car comments and the way they criticize peoples cars and ideas. It's your car, build it the way you want. If you want to make the inside a museum to what a CHP mustang looks like, then go for it. I'm sure people will understand that you don't want the unneccesary attention that a black and white will bring.

I had posted a thread over there about a Police Buick GN I found, but didn't bother to post the photos and interesting info I found out about it because they wouldn't have appreciated it anyways.

The important thing is that the car is being saved and can easily be finished back to CHP with just some primer and white paint.

Good luck with the project!!
Old 11-08-2011, 02:01 PM

Jim, I let the matter die over there regarding Greg's definition of a clown car. He's entitled to his opinion. I won't let it spoil the fun I'm having with my SSP, and I hope David enjoys his new project.

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 11-08-2011, 02:12 PM
Admin

I have to agree....I don't think it's a clown car because the doors aren't painted white. While we strive to maintain "correctness" in both restoration and how the cars are perceived here, there's still room for various levels of "completeness". To me, a clown car is full of the wrong equipment (such as LEDs), too many antennas, newer markings, etc. etc. etc. We have all seen these types of "restos" and fully understand why some of these people do them that way. I don't think that's the case here.

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363
Old 11-08-2011, 04:02 PM
...Gathering Parts

I think that the term "Clown" can be misinterpreted and misused especially when used with different generations of auto enthusiasts. If you are in the true and specific point of absolute accuracy of the unit, that means that the CHP car should be black and white (or solid white for those special units) without fail and in some ways that's the interpretation of a restoration at CCdC with minimal gray allowed there. I get what you are doing but then again, I come here to this board regularly and I understand. Being a regular at CCdC and the hobby since 1998 I've seen many transitions over the years, the accuracy is the biggest point in a restoration and that is what is the target for the true historical restorer. In my opinion, you do what you want with the car but depending on your audience, your car will be received with different reactions. Much like an SSP being converted for racing is met with an extreme reaction of horror and disgust as with the race crowd would think it's cool. The demo derby guys are really met with disgust there at CCdC for obvious reasons.

It's strictly on interpretation and that's all. Your car and money do with it what you want.

Dave, you enjoy that car and I look forward to seeing it done!
Old 11-08-2011, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Passenger Door Bodyside Molding (Mine is a little Wavy)

Body side door moldings were deleted.

1987 CHP E422920
1988 CHP (sold)
1989 LX Hatch 5.0
1992 UHP
1995 Cobra
Old 11-10-2011, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va 5.0 View Post
Body side door moldings were deleted.
Ummmm... I am confused. All the pix of the 1986 CHP SSPs HAD door mouldings. Please advise?

Thanks!

David
Old 11-10-2011, 02:44 AM

As far as the restoration is concerned, yes, I am conflicted. Part of me wants to paint her black/white, however part of me doesn't. In a way, I feel that I am doing her an injustice by painting her black/white. I am a LEO here in TX, and with that comes the ability to work traffic control duties (Off Duty Work), for lane closures, construction etc.... My intent is to put her back "In Service" performing those types of duties. That having been said, I want to maintain her origins. The correct CHP Spots have already been installed, and I have purchased NOS deck lights. I am going to install a motorola XTL2500 digital radio under the seat (as to hide it), but install the correct CHP radio and scanner for appearances sake. I suppose one could say that I am trying to HYBRID the mix of OLD/Original vs NEW. If you want to call it a clown car, then by all means do so. I for one disagree. My SSP will live on doing "In Service" duties, which I can assume, that MOST if not ALL restored police cars don't get the chance to do. She will be happier working, than not.... that is my opinion, others are welcomed too.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:49 AM

That's retarded! That was and could be a badass original car.
I've got an 88 that you can ruin.
It's a tx car so you will fit in.