Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > 1987-1993 Special Service Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1987-1993 Special Service Mustangs The aero cars.

Old 12-06-2007, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintageracer View Post
I am at that crossroads with the EVOC car. John had to paint the car given the poor condition of the original paint. The rest of the car is in very good condition or will clean and be very nice. Perfect no, but very nice!

I have decided at this point that I will "preserve" the car rather than "restore" the car.
In regards to the CHP EVOC car, I highly applaud your decision. I had a couple of excellent opportunities to buy this one when it was still out west and had I done so, my intentions were to do the highest degree of preservation rather than restoration on the car. They are only original once and I agree that the whole car collector hobby is gravitating toward valuing preserved units much higher than restored ones and for good reason.

Likewise, I also would put it back out in it's element (track events) as much as possible as that is where I think it would show the best and be the most fun to own. I would, however, be DAMN careful with it!

Tough call on the Winter Park car. If the original livery was bland, I'd lean toward using the current highly interesting scheme, repaint or not.
1988 CHP #3035

http://public.fotki.com/Classicchp/
Old 12-06-2007, 03:16 PM
Admin

One other thought to consider, since preservation has been mentioned a couple of times:

It's a rare car, and even more so since you've been able to find the original officer that drove it. That's a big plus, and very few people have been fortunate enough to be in your situation.

The brochure theme, while really nice, is not what the car was originally, and it's really just a clone.

Bottom line, it's your car and I think you should do what makes you happiest with it. It's nice as-is, and will be nice if you repaint it, too.

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363
Old 12-06-2007, 08:39 PM
Supreme Allied Commander

I dont care if the WPPD colors were teal and pink with purple lights, it wouldn't stay like it is, if it were mine.
2002 Crown Vic Sport
Old 12-06-2007, 11:25 PM
Alibi

Default Decisions

I agree with all the responses and believe there is not one correct decsion. If you saw the car everyone would probable hesitate to repaint. Being a collector, the originality was ALWAYS most importnant to me. I don't know what the future holds for these cars.

I am hopefully going to receive the pictures of Winterpark livery soon. Lets hope the stripes are not hot pink and electic blue.

What I am going to do is remove the stripes of the "brochure" car and see how the paint looks. While I like the concept of the car currently, I believe it should be in exact livery when in service. I certainly DO NOT like the black moldings as they were painted. They will be going back to white.

Regarding the money invested, I am over what the car is worth. I know this and NEVER do this. I don't want to sound like an a*s, but this is also a passion and hobby, and I am not concerned with being a few grand up side down in this car as I don't plan on selling it.

I have owned over 40 cars and have done much research. These cars will go up substantially in value over the next ten years as cumulative production numbers are very low and most have been wrecked or turned into race cars.

Let's see if these decals have done any damage upon removal. WE, can pool the jury again.

Thanks for the input guys. Keep in coming.

Best

"Future Is What Present Does"

Collectables:
1993 WinterPark FL SSP Unit 1017 (72K miles)
Other(s):
1987 Buick Grand National (862 miles)
1989 Pontiac Turbo Trans Am- Pace Car (2,847 miles)
1990 Chevrolet Camaro IROC 5.7 "1LE" (COPO), 1 of 64 (28 with 5.7L) (10,111 miles)
1995 Corvette ZR1 (859 miles)

"Kiddie Carrier"
2008 BMW M5 (500 HP, V10, 6-speed....sedan)
Old 12-07-2007, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImEvil1 View Post
One other thought to consider, since preservation has been mentioned a couple of times:

It's a rare car, and even more so since you've been able to find the original officer that drove it. That's a big plus, and very few people have been fortunate enough to be in your situation.
Good point.

Hate to see the brochure car go away though. Would be nice if some owner of a white '93 with an unknown pedigree steps up and recreates another one.
1988 CHP #3035

http://public.fotki.com/Classicchp/