Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Special Service Mustang Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Special Service Mustang Tech Any and all technical questions for SSP cars.

Old 07-28-2017, 09:02 AM

Default Cat Clatter

One of the catalytic converters on my 1988 Pierce County SD car is starting to rattle when running. I looked on CL for a stock H-pipe, but found nothing close by (plus I don't want to buy a highly used part that is going to do the same thing that mine is doing). Since we tend to keep our cars stock here, I doubt anyone has a factory H-pipe they'd let go. On our son's low mileage 94 Cobra, we removed the factory H-pipe and put on off-road pipes; after which we had two cats installed to reduce the noise. I have that original H-pipe but I would rather not use it (plus there could be some differences between one for a Fox and a SN95).

So I would appreciate your input. Can I purchase a good, new factory-style h-pipe? Should I pay a muffler shop to replace all of my cats? Are there any other choices?

Thanks!

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 07-29-2017, 01:57 AM
Retired L.E.O.

I would suggest buying a new H-pipe. Remember, our cars have four converters on their h-pipe. If you are going to replace one converter, you should do all four. If you rebuild the h-pipe that would be Very expensive. Unless you a real friend in the muffler business.

New h-pipes are readily available on-line. Rock Auto or Parts Geek have them from the mid $200.00 to $900.00 range from name brand manufactures like Walker and Flowmaster. I would think the Mustang Restoration sites would have them also. I just don't know if they are Stainless Steel like our originals. I do know the welding (done in a jig) would be superior to a local shop welded piece.

Something else to think about. When my converter was disintegrating it was actually blowing chunks of material into the mufflers therein clogging them.

Are you sure it's the cats and not something else rattling under the car? Like maybe a transmission cooling line (if you have an auto), disc brake backing plate, or the heat shield that surrounds each cat. I have seen a spot welds on the shield rust away allowing the shield to flap about.

Good luck in your decision.
Old 08-03-2017, 01:55 PM
Retired L.E.O.

Default Cat Clatter

Bill,I just sent you a PM on this.
Old 08-04-2017, 09:20 AM

Replied.

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!