Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Other Mustangs/Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Mustangs/Miscellaneous For sale/Wanted/Parts-non SSP

Old 12-03-2014, 06:58 PM

Default 89 LX 5.0 AOD

Guys, going to punt on this one. I have another project that is going to take priority. Besides, it is not a SSP and I really want a fully dressed SSP so I'll hunt for one after the '63 Catalina is done. 151K, pretty standard options pw, pdl, tilt, cruise. Power locks don't work, brakes work fine but could be better, has a few dings, no rot, map light does not work. A/C works, heat works, has 2.73 posi gear, shifts very good and has newer michelin sport tires on the 10 holes. No rips, headliner good and did I mention is runs great. No problem turning those tires. It is all stock, no mods except for the replacement catback dynomax stainless exhaust that is 2.5 inch. I couldn't save the old stuff, too many holes. i did save the tips and they'll go with the car if wanted. Would be a great daily driver if you wanted seeing that it is a regular 5.0 and has the AOD. $6500 obo will entertain trades on older trucks too. PM for additional pics if needed. Located west of Atlanta, GA. Thanks.

Old 12-04-2014, 12:58 PM

Update. Drove the car today. Starts just fine, runs, accelerates does everything just fine but the CEL came on. I got a code 41 when I did the KOER test which is a lean condition on the passenger side. I'm not going to throw any money at this so I will be open to reasonable offers. The CEL is not on, it will come on and go off so who knows.
Old 12-04-2014, 06:33 PM

Alright, fixed the O2 sensor so no CEL. But, doing another KOER new codes popped up. 94 & 44 so the smog pump is not working. I pulled the belt and spun it and it sounds horrible. Just want to be upfront about it.
Old 12-05-2014, 05:55 PM

Love that car.
Old 12-05-2014, 07:49 PM

Thank you. I really is not a bad car. It is not perfect but it is 25 years old. It was driven daily and then parked for 3 years. After running it today it really needs brakes. The rotors shimmy when they get warmed up and I feel they could be better. I figured the car would get 5 lug swapped anyway. And the other thing is I think the steering rack needs to be replaced. It turns good and everything but on the passenger side the wheel has movement in and out and it is not the tie rod unless the tie rod goes into the rack thru the boot but I think the tie rod goes to the threaded part of the rack. Ball joints are solid. I've pulled the smog pump out and cleaned all the valves and pulled the mesh out from under the pcv valve. That was a chore and that thing was completely clogged. I had to unroll it and clean it with throttle body cleaner, rolled it back up after I cleaned the housing and installed a new PCV. Who's idea was that to put that thing in there and to put the PCV where it is a PITA to get to it. Anyway, the title is in my hands ready to go.
Old 12-06-2014, 05:02 PM

Sounds like your inner tie rod is bad on the passenger side. There is a inner and outer tie rod, the inner threads onto the rack. It's not hard to replace, you will probably want to get a alignment after it's replaced.

1993 Calypso Green SSP Gilchrist Co.
1990 FHP SSP
Old 12-06-2014, 06:26 PM

Thanks. It's only $25 so I'll fix it and update the ad. Interesting how a threaded rod like that breaks.
Old 12-06-2014, 11:09 PM

Its not really a just a threaded rod, the end that attaches to the rack is a ball socket. It's kinda like your hip or shoulder sockets. I have attached a photo of it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (8.8 KB, 72 views)

1993 Calypso Green SSP Gilchrist Co.
1990 FHP SSP
Old 12-07-2014, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damon23 View Post
Thanks. It's only $25 so I'll fix it and update the ad. Interesting how a threaded rod like that breaks.
The threaded rods do break. It had one break on my '93 vert, years ago, 30 miles from home. Made some knocking sounds, as the 2 ends hit, but made it home.
Old 12-08-2014, 09:19 AM

Here are a few other shots if anyone is interested.