Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Members' SSPs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Members' SSPs A place to post up pics of your SSP, whether restored, in-progress, or somewhere in-between.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-07-2009, 01:30 PM

Default Some of the CHP parts are in

There is a gentleman at the CHP named Robert Read who privately sells some of the obsolete CHP parts that were on many of their SSP's, depending on vintage. I know other members have bought parts from him for their CHP restorations. These parts were not inexpensive, but highly necessary for an accurate build-up.

Below are the a-pillar spotlights. California law still requires that their police cars have a steady-burn red light as part of their emergency lighting. The red spotlight meets that requirement, and will again be mounted on the driver's side post using the original hole. I probably will not make the red one functional, as my car will be a driver and I do not want to be hassled by the local police for having emergency lighting on my car.

The rear emergency lights sit atop the rear package shelf inside the rear window. These also will not be wired up, in order to keep the local police from being concerned while I drive around. I also plan to buy some off-road light covers to keep everyone happy. Here is a video clip of an SSP Mustang with these lights.

The final CHP parts (for now at least) are the spring-ball base for the long whip antenna on the passenger rear 1/4 panel, and the shorter roof antenna.

Down the line, I will probably purchase the original radio equipment and locking shotgun rack. I figure the CHP-specific parts will only become more difficult to find as time goes on, so I will pick them up as opportunity and funds allow. I do not want to put Mr. Read's contact information on the internet, but he his agreeable to me forwarding his information along to anyone interested in buying parts. So please send me a PM if anyone wants to contact him.

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!