Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Members' SSPs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Members' SSPs A place to post up pics of your SSP, whether restored, in-progress, or somewhere in-between.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:14 PM

Wow !! That's going to be a beautiful SSP. Congrats!

86 CHP Unit #3852
86 Texas DPS M6-383
93 Texas DPS M3-379
93 Cobra Teal #2304 (sold)
03 Cobra 10th Annv.Conv.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:20 PM

Default Time to make lemonade!

As an update, my SSP hasn't been running right this year. The car had carb issues, but a new Holley failed to fix the bad idling problem (the car would not smooth out). I decided to have the car looked at by my nephew, Kris, who owns a custom (repair) shop and is VERY familiar with 5.0L Fox Mustangs. He came by on Halloween and picked up the car on his flatbed.

So Kris checked the car out, and determined that the harmonic balancer was about to separate from the crank. It looks as though the off-balance balancer took it's toll on the bottom-end, because the crank now has excessive play. In addition, my oil pressure at speed is only 30psi, and at idle it's around 10psi. Compression ranges from 110-160. So it looks as though the tired old 5.0L is worn out.

Since I am trying to finish up other projects, I will be having Kris yank the engine and open it up to see what's inside. Since I am the 8th owner of the car, I'm not sure if it's the original motor or not. Hopefully the block (if it's original) isn't already .030-over. If the block is shot, then I need to decide how to proceed with the engine.

In terms of the lemonade comment at the beginning, once the motor is out, I'll get the car back so I can detail the engine compartment. The under-hood area was in dire need of attention, so I'll used this unplanned event to spruce things up.

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 11-05-2011, 02:25 AM

Bill, if you do have to rework the motor - will be great to have a fresh motor for years to come. And on the bright side, can detail the engine bay.

Sometimes what seems like a bummer - can have positive upside. And...you'll be prepped with a nice driveline to take you out to CA for an 85 reunion.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:33 AM

Thanks Ryan! I think a west coast road trip would be fun. That would take some planning for sure.

Here's a shot that Kris texted to me last night -

The car is coming back to me today without the motor (obviously). I will take the opportunity to make the engine bay as close to factory-fresh as possible.

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 11-05-2011, 09:38 AM
VIN guru

You know where to look to see if the engine is original?
Old 11-05-2011, 12:44 PM
1985 CHP/NEV SSP'S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
Bill, if you do have to rework the motor - will be great to have a fresh motor for years to come. And on the bright side, can detail the engine bay.

Sometimes what seems like a bummer - can have positive upside. And...you'll be prepped with a nice driveline to take you out to CA for an 85 reunion.
Ryan, I am trying to see how many 85 SSP's I can round up for Ripon next year. So far I think that Mustang kid and his dad Chris will be there with their 2 cars, along with my 2 cars as well as Rocketscience and your car. I think that Bill needs to bring 8395 home again for a visit.... lol...
1985 California Highway Patrol #8336 Napa Ca office.

1985 Nevada Highway Patrol #30. Federal Test Car. Reno Nv office.

California Highway Patrol#8336 & Nevada Highway Patrol #30 Restoration Pictures.

http://public.fotki.com/CHP8336/
Old 11-05-2011, 01:16 PM

Indeed. I have been talking with Jimmy about (possibly) getting my 85 in and done for paint/body by summer. Will take some work to do it right. And...I need to collect all the gear.

Having said all that. I have 2 WSP cars ahead of the CHP to fix up - so realistically, this may be a "in 2 years" thing. But...and it's a big but <snicker>...wouldn't it be fun to reunite all of them?

Bill, keep us posted on the engine build. Hoping it's not too bad.
Old 11-06-2011, 12:04 PM

Kris brought back my SSP last night, and Jack & I just pushed it into the garage. It's a mess under the hood...

...for now at least

Old 11-06-2011, 06:01 PM

Judging from the pistons, Kris said it's a stock 93 roller motor. That's OK, since the motor is completely worn out. Kris and I are now sourcing engine components for a fairly stock 5.0L rebuild (as opposed to building a 331 stroker with fancy heads and lumpy cam).

Old 11-07-2011, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28HopUp View Post
(as opposed to building a 331 stroker with fancy heads and lumpy cam).
What's wrong with that!? Granted, I don't like driving my 85 for long hauls, but sure is fun for short romps on the pedal with the stroker in it...LOL.