Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Members' SSPs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Members' SSPs A place to post up pics of your SSP, whether restored, in-progress, or somewhere in-between.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:24 PM

Looking awesome! and it didn't take a year to paint.

1993 FHP 813
1986 UHP SSP slicktop- Getting there little by little.
1993 Floyd Co Ga\Rome Ga pd SSP SOLD

E
ven grief recedes with time, but we must Never Forget. 9-11-01

Mustang Club of America member.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:29 PM
CHiPster

I too am jealous!! Mine still need a ways to go to finish doing time.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:15 PM

The word from the body shop today is that they hope to paint the rest of the body parts next week, and then finish the assembly the following week. So I MAY have the car back by June 12th. It's gonna be a long couple of weeks. Once it is home, then I'll need to:
  • Install new dash pad
  • Install new speedo (mine's broken at 140 mph)
  • Install new stereo and speakers
  • Clean the new seats and install with new carpet
  • Install new rear package shelf
  • Install new headliner
  • Remove all window tinting (without damaging the rear defroster)
  • Install CHP rear deck lights
  • Install CHP spotlights
  • Install CHP antennae
  • Complete a minor detailing of engine compartment

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 06-01-2009, 09:49 AM

Nothing glamorous to report today, but I did replace the tail light lenses over the weekend.

I popped out the old lenses, removed the 5 retaining clips, and scraped out the tar strip that sits inside the channel of the tail light bucket. In addition to getting new lenses, you need to also order a new installation kit with a fresh tar strip and new clips. After a thorough clean up of the buckets, I popped the new lens in for a test fit and compared it to the old lens. The one on the left is the factory lens, and the right one is the new lens -

I installed the new tack strip around the bucket, and then inserted the clips. Pressing down on the lens with the bucket on the workbench, the lens clipped into place. However, each lens needs a little motivation to stay in place while it is setting up, so I taped each lens with duct tape while pressing the lens tight in that area. I will let them sit like this for about 48 hours -

I see a problem with these. The lenses are so nice looking that the buckets now look cruddy. If I had it to do over again, I would have painted the top edge and inside of each bucket near the license plate area prior to installing the lenses. Once I remove the tape, I may mask off the lenses and paint the visible edges of the buckets. It would just be easier to do had I not already installed the lenses.

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 06-01-2009, 12:51 PM

The only step that I do that you didn't is that I normally spray the inside of the buckets with a chrome spray paint to give the light more to reflect off of. It makes the hole tail light look brighter when it goes back together. I think the finished products works better because there is a better reflective surface to work with too. The old normally looks as though there is hardly any reflective surface left from all the years.

Yours still look pretty good though! Keep up the good work.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86NeSSP View Post
The only step that I do that you didn't is that I normally spray the inside of the buckets with a chrome spray paint to give the light more to reflect off of. It makes the hole tail light look brighter when it goes back together. I think the finished products works better because there is a better reflective surface to work with too. The old normally looks as though there is hardly any reflective surface left from all the years.

Yours still look pretty good though! Keep up the good work.

That's a great idea! My buckets weren't all too shiney, but not too bad either. I considered doing that, but decided to proceed with assembly. I'll remember that trick on the next SSP I restore (did I really say that???).

Old 06-01-2009, 02:36 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28HopUp View Post
That's a great idea! My buckets weren't all too shiney, but not too bad either. I considered doing that, but decided to proceed with assembly. I'll remember that trick on the next SSP I restore (did I really say that???).

It's an addiction.

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363
Old 06-05-2009, 01:58 PM

Things are moving forward at the body shop!

The rear bumper is being prepped. It doesn't look too pretty at this point -

The doors, the rear decklid, and the hood were being placed into the paint booth while I was there. They'll be painted black today -

On Monday they plan to paint the bumpers and side sail panels. The matte black trim paint will be done right after that on those remaining parts. Unless something sidelines their schedule, they plan to start the reassembly on Wednesday, June 10th.

Old 06-08-2009, 01:02 PM

Getting closer!

I stopped by today, and the body shop was prepping the front bumper for primer and paint. The rear bumper is ready for the black topcoat, and so are both front fenders. The side sail panels need prep, but the fuel door is ready for primer.

They decided to reshoot the driver's side door - something messed up the finish so they are going to re-do it. The passenger door was hung on the car -

I'll bring the good camera on Wednesday, 6/10 to capture the progress.

Old 06-08-2009, 08:40 PM
Mustang Fan!

Looking good Bill.

http://public.fotki.com/88stang/