Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > 1982-1986 Special Service Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

1982-1986 Special Service Mustangs The 4-eyed cars.

Old 05-19-2011, 12:30 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
Oh, DUH! Sorry, one of those mornings! I'm lucky that the unit number was still on the door jam. I'm removing it for the restoration, and am going to buy one of the label machines to remake it. The "M" was torn off of the front. Unfortunatley, the plate number seems unrelated to the unit number on texas cars, so the unit number really doesn't do anything to help me. Why couldn't texas have been more organized!?
It just goes to show...you never know with these cars.

I may have one of the most documented '83s out there (CSP), and one of the least, too (DPS).

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363
Old 05-19-2011, 12:50 PM

Don't ever give up or totally despair about finding information about your cars. Once you get them done and start displaying them then eventually someone who knows someone who knows someone may just see them and that may lead to some sterling documentation being laid right in your lap. It happens...get'em done and out there!
1988 CHP #3035

http://public.fotki.com/Classicchp/
Old 05-19-2011, 04:43 PM

Excellent point! The car will hopefully get to spend some good time on the show circuit once it is done. I'm looking forward to getting her back and putting the equipment back together!
Old 05-19-2011, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac88chp View Post
Don't ever give up or totally despair about finding information about your cars. Once you get them done and start displaying them then eventually someone who knows someone who knows someone may just see them and that may lead to some sterling documentation being laid right in your lap. It happens...get'em done and out there!
This is so true. Robert King and I were at a show last weekend to memorialize the Lakewood 4. We brought out our Pierce Co. Mustangs. Pierce County also brought out their "still in-service" sister 88 out as well.

So, one of the PCSD Deputies starts talking with Robert about his blue PCSD SSP - and one of the other deputies joined in the conversation and verified that the car was a pool unit over in Lakewood.

A lightbulb went off with Deputy #1 - turns out Robert's car was the car he pulled from the pool his very first day alone without a FTO - and loved it!! And the other deputy told a stoy of taking a ride as a passenger in the Mustang and it broke down that day. Just never know what kind of stories will come out.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:07 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac88chp View Post
I can understand that with a smaller agency, like with Rhino's example, but not with a larger one. Some guys can't remember what kind of car they drove, much less anything specific about one they don't remember.

I really don't think that someone will see my '83 DPS at a show one day and be able to recognize it. I've also tracked down 2 DPS Troopers who drove them, so I haven't given up on finding out info about it. Tony S. says that he has a video of them all out at driver training, but I've never seen it.

I'm patient...and I never give up.

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363