Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > The Briefing Room
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

The Briefing Room All Non-Mustang related stuff.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-19-2009, 08:04 PM
SSPGARY's Avatar
SSPGARY SSPGARY is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 453
Default

I'm going to leave the car " as is " for this year and restore it next winter once I have all the parts. I just can't live with all the battle scars! Thanks for the opinions.

Gary
__________________
2003 AB Mach 1
1992 PASP ( Sold )
2013 Focus ST
2008 P71
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-19-2009, 08:52 PM
FlyinTiger's Avatar
FlyinTiger FlyinTiger is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 337
Default

Seeing your previous work, I say restore it. Like previously mentioned, your attention to detail means a full restoration, not just cosmetic.

I can be on the fence with this, though. A car is only original paint once. White hides a lot of abuse, but it is up to you. For me, the ones to keep unrestored are the SSP that still retain their post-service auction markings, like the FHP's. It makes the car timeless. There can be many restored and the larger agencies will have many that basically look the same, but none more special than the just out of service look.
__________________
Unit A-41
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-19-2009, 09:23 PM
ImEvil1's Avatar
ImEvil1 ImEvil1 is offline
Admin
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,404
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyinTiger View Post
For me, the ones to keep unrestored are the SSP that still retain their post-service auction markings, like the FHP's. It makes the car timeless. There can be many restored and the larger agencies will have many that basically look the same, but none more special than the just out of service look.
That's one of the reasons why I haven't painted my '93 FHP. I wouldn't do a complete resto on it anyway, since it's so clean underneath, but I haven't been able to bring myself to do anything with the paint (yet).

The Colorado car is very much the same; you can still see the outlines where the door numbers were. One good wax job and those are gone. However, due to the surface rust forming on the underside of the car, I'm going to end up doing the whole thing. The funny part is that none of "new" rust was there prior to the car being in FL.

It really deserves the full treatment anyway, so I have no reason to complain.
__________________

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-20-2009, 08:12 AM
1989 Tx DPS SSP's Avatar
1989 Tx DPS SSP 1989 Tx DPS SSP is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Houston.Tx
Posts: 275
Default

Mike if the car is sitting on Black Top that is were the rust is coming from.

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-20-2009, 10:51 AM
YellowMurci's Avatar
YellowMurci YellowMurci is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NyC!
Posts: 77
Default

why would blacktop create rust?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-20-2009, 11:27 PM
Mustang Matt Mustang Matt is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Jupiter FL
Posts: 119
Default

No, Florida. My 70 Colorado car never had a lock of rust until I moved to Florida and then it blew up with it. The humidity eats metal alive.
__________________
My babies here:

http://s50.photobucket.com/albums/f315/horseplayauto/
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-20-2009, 11:30 PM
ImEvil1's Avatar
ImEvil1 ImEvil1 is offline
Admin
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,404
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Matt View Post
No, Florida. My 70 Colorado car never had a lock of rust until I moved to Florida and then it blew up with it. The humidity eats metal alive.
I was waiting for Tom's explanation but it never showed.

I think you might be right. I mean...even the little rock chips on the hood started getting rust in them. I took care of it, but I was amazed. The car had been sitting in a barn untouched for over 10 years and those nicks/scratches had been there for a long time without rust.
__________________

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-24-2009, 09:54 PM
FlyinTiger's Avatar
FlyinTiger FlyinTiger is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 337
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImEvil1 View Post
That's one of the reasons why I haven't painted my '93 FHP. I wouldn't do a complete resto on it anyway, since it's so clean underneath, but I haven't been able to bring myself to do anything with the paint (yet).

The Colorado car is very much the same; you can still see the outlines where the door numbers were. One good wax job and those are gone. However, due to the surface rust forming on the underside of the car, I'm going to end up doing the whole thing. The funny part is that none of "new" rust was there prior to the car being in FL.

It really deserves the full treatment anyway, so I have no reason to complain.
Your '93 was exactly the car that I was thinking of. I would never paint it. Look at all the attention the unrestored Hertz Shelby got at Barber. It was in everyone's pictures.
__________________
Unit A-41
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-27-2009, 04:16 PM
chp1982 chp1982 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 926
Default

Original gets my vote, but who doesn't like a quality resto? I personally like seeing what time has done to a car....unless time includes re-paints, collisions, rust, etc. My funds are dictating what my car is going to look like for the time being, but I really do love my old, faded, original B/W paint. I scare everyone in the neighborhood when I drive it around. What did the Hertz at Barber look like?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-27-2009, 06:11 PM
predator20's Avatar
predator20 predator20 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Defuniak Springs, FL
Posts: 640
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chp1982 View Post
What did the Hertz at Barber look like?
I assume this is it.
http://www.efi-street.com/IMAGES/mus...s/image54.html
http://www.efi-street.com/IMAGES/mus...s/image55.html
http://www.efi-street.com/IMAGES/mustang45th/
__________________
Brian
1986 FHP 1742
1986 WSP 2761
http://public.fotki.com/predator2020/
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.