Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Members' SSPs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Members' SSPs A place to post up pics of your SSP, whether restored, in-progress, or somewhere in-between.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-01-2017, 08:19 AM
NoDrama43's Avatar
NoDrama43 NoDrama43 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,043
Default

very nice Steve.
__________________
Jim


for the first time since 1998 there is only two left:

1984 Oregon SP unmarked
1986 Idaho SP
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-01-2017, 08:56 AM
28HopUp's Avatar
28HopUp 28HopUp is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 4,550
Default

Very cool!
__________________
Bill Jr.

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-08-2017, 11:26 AM
John10608's Avatar
John10608 John10608 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Oregon Coast
Posts: 615
Default

Good job Steve !!
It will look sharp once painted and completed ! Looks good now !

Congrats !
__________________
John
1992 CHP #E895201
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-08-2017, 09:48 PM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Western Sierras, N. CA
Posts: 272
Default

After a 160 mile drive today, 0327 is now at the body shop in Santa Clara, CA. This is going to be a lot of work; all removable parts will come off including hood, trunk lid, fenders, doors. Painted separately then reinstalled. They want to strip off all the white paint that Earl Scheib put on 33 years ago. I need to get new side moldings for the front fenders and rear quarter panels. I told them it's gotta look good. I do plan to stop by from time to time and may even pitch in and do some work. I will get progress photos to post here.
__________________
*******************************************
1982 CHP 0327
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-08-2017, 10:18 PM
chp1982 chp1982 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 926
Default

160 mile drive, wow! How was that? Looking forward to progress photos!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-08-2017, 10:38 PM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Western Sierras, N. CA
Posts: 272
Unhappy

0327 performed well. Didn't overheat, lots of power. I noticed after about an hour that it seemed like running at highway speed and full temp it got some cobwebs out. That hesitation in accelerating I told you about went away. At 65 mph it was smooth, at 75 I started getting vibration in the drive train. Perhaps driveline needs balancing, wheels need balance? At 80 it was uncomfortable (the vibration) so I stayed at about 72-75 for most of the way. The route included some long and steep grades. 0327 went right along at 70 and never even slowed down; I didn't have to open the throttle on the hills to maintain speed. Other than balancing wheels and maybe the driveline I won't do anything about the vibration, because I won't be driving very often and don't need to exceed 70.
__________________
*******************************************
1982 CHP 0327
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-09-2017, 12:06 PM
mac88chp's Avatar
mac88chp mac88chp is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NorCal
Posts: 1,395
Default

Glad to hear you made it fine and now the body shop fun begins! It is a GREAT idea for you to visit the shop OFTEN for two reasons:

First, it reminds the crew there to keep up progress on your car and it gives both you and them many opportunities to review and assess the details of the work being performed. This will help eliminate the possibility of what could be important decisions (large, medium and small) being made in your absence because nobody wanted to "bother" you or thought they could reach you. When it comes to getting an absolutely correct restoration, you will want to be "bothered" and the best way is to just present yourself as often as possible.

Second, photos of the car in disassembly, refinishing and reassembly is a VERY important part of the documentation for your car. Having these will ensure you have proof of what your car is and of what and how the restoration work was done. It will support the value of your car in the future. Take as many photos as possible and if you can't be there at important points ask the shop to take some photos for you.

You are at a disadvantage due to distance but try your best. I was lucky as I was able to get my body and paint done at a shop in the city where I was working at the time so I would randomly scoot over there during lunch breaks 2-3 times a week. I knew when they took their break so I would plan to arrive about in the middle of that time when the shop was empty and I had full access to shoot photos at will. After that, they would be coming back on to work and I could chat with them briefly and work out any details I noticed before they continued. I made sure they knew I was politely watching them and they took it well because I never became overbearing or excessively demanding. I was happy with the outcome and they told me they actually enjoyed working WITH me on a car we were both proud of at the end. Hopefully you can accomplish the same so keep posting progress pics and info!
__________________
Michael
1988 CHP #3035

http://public.fotki.com/Classicchp/
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.