PDA

View Full Version : MCA Judges - do they know how to judge any SSP?

Cobra Jet
04-13-2010, 09:49 AM
I've been pondering this question and thought this may be the best forum section to ask it....

Most of you take your SSP's to Mustang car shows (or a multitude of car shows) - when or if at a Mustang only car show, and if an MCA Judge (or local associate to the MCA) is there - do these Judges or Associates really know how to judge an SSP and what to look for when judging one?

Meaning, there are many varities of SSP's, all of which are/were equipped differently (for in-service vehicles & unmarked) due to numerous State jurisdictions & Dept. variations. So, when these cars are at said shows, are they being judged as a "Mustang" for correct factory stock period correct items, OR are they being judged as a Mustang SSP as far as period correctness when it comes to Dept./State paint schemes, interior equipment, exterior lights/antennas, rims (bare vs painted), oil coolers, grounding straps, etc?

What is the judging criteria for an 82-93 Mustang SSP - both in-service restorations & unmarked?

Unmrkd
04-13-2010, 11:57 AM
It has been my experience with the MCA that they judge the SSPs as any other FOX Chassis Mustang. They have not been concerned with certified speedometers, oil coolers, BUC Tags etc. For some real fun try to explain to that MCA judge why your Georgia SSP has different color bumper covers as he is adamant that it didn't come that way.

At present there isn't a set of specific MCA judging rules/criterion for the SSPs. With all the different possibilities that would be a tall order. Maybe someday there will be some "General" items identified that can be used.

Cobra Jet
04-13-2010, 12:23 PM
It has been my experience with the MCA that they judge the SSPs as any other FOX Chassis Mustang. They have not been concerned with certified speedometers, oil coolers, BUC Tags etc. For some real fun try to explain to that MCA judge why your Georgia SSP has different color bumper covers as he is adamant that it didn't come that way.

At present there isn't a set of specific MCA judging rules/criterion for the SSPs. With all the different possibilities that would be a tall order. Maybe someday there will be some "General" items identified that can be used.

Soooo.... basically, they just see it as "another" Mustang LX 5.0 notchback?

How do they determine a "winner" in the event of a tied judging between an SSP and a civillian notchback - the SSP wins because it has all sorts of neato equipment attached to it and looks different? (sarcasm) LOL!

I mean seriously, has anyone thought of petitioning the MCA to have better judging criteria for Fox SSP's - maybe as you suggested, at least a listing for some of the most common SSP specific items found between all SSP's?

I don't understand why an SSP would be grouped in as just another notchback.

MOstang
04-13-2010, 12:33 PM
To the answer in your subject line...my sense is the answer is "no". In the last couple months wrote to the MCA Ask A Judge email address to inquire what was the appropriate class for an SSP to enter. The response I received made it seem as though the judge (I forget who they were) had no idea what as SSP was. The reply indicted if I SSP was in a certain group of model years that made no sense since it was years after SSP production by Ford ceased. I gave up at that point but will probably reply and ask for further clarification as it seems he's confused on SSP's.

NoDrama43
04-13-2010, 12:45 PM
I have had some lengthy conversations with a couple of Fox Body judges at shows I have been to. While they know a little of the information pertaining to SSP packages specifically, like the certified clusters, they do not have all the information and that is understandable given the numerous ways the cars were ordered. In judging my cars they have always judged them as they would any other fox car. paint, glass, finish, cleanliness, stock parts used etc. There is no way we can ever expect the judges to judge our cars based on the accuracy of radio equipment, antennas, etc. In my experience if the car meets all the other criteria they just ignore the emergency equipment.

In regards to he rear bumper cover situation Gregg talks about I dealt with that issue when I owned GSP 1245. I had a build sheet from that specific DSO however it was not for that specific car. it clearly stated that DSO was ordered with twilight blue rear bumper cover. Reluctantly the judge agreed not to take off points. it won't be an issue with my 91 GSP now because I have the build sheet specific to that car.

Until the MCA creates a class for our cars, and educates the judges on a set of standards to meet, it is a non issue. Make the car as clean and new looking as you can and you should do well at the shows. Most importantly remember your actions, comments and attitudes toward the judges reflect upon us all. :thumbsup: