Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Members' SSPs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Members' SSPs A place to post up pics of your SSP, whether restored, in-progress, or somewhere in-between.

Old 10-06-2012, 08:36 AM

Hi Tyler. Welcome to the forum! Thanks for the pictures. We will get your car added to our VIN Project shortly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBWaterfowler View Post
I want to hear your opinions on this.
Be careful what you ask for! IMO, a SSP Mustang makes for an OK daily driver (not good or even great). Personally, I like my DD to have airbags, ABS, and other safety features found on modern automobiles. That being said, I know some hot rod car-guys who regularly drive some really neat, old cars. But there are risks in doing that: accidents (destroying not only the car but possibly hurting the occupants), damage, theft, ect. Since you already own your 84 and want to drive it, I suggest the following:
  • Paint - since you live in California, do NOT paint the roof and doors white with a black body. You will get stopped and the hassle is not worth it. A member here in California repainted his 85 CHP in black with a white roof - it looked great, it honored the car's history, and he avoided getting in trouble with the police.
  • CHP Equipment - You can add the antennae and lights, but the lights must be covered at all times. I keep mine disconnected too while driving, should I have to answer any questions on the side of the road after being stopped. Police markings MUST be covered up or removed while driving.
  • Engine - You can have hood clearance issues with the 351, depending on the parts selection. There are so many choices for building a nice 5.0L that you should probably stick with that. I wouldn't go crazy with mods; keep things simple.
  • Suspension - The factory 87-up 4-lug front brakes are an upgrade in performance, but you will have to run newer style wheels. My 1st 85 SSP has them, in addition to 93 Cobra disk brakes. The car stops nicely compared to the OEM set-up, but I must use 10-hole wheels (painted black). IMO, a 5-lug swap isn't worth it. The brakes are going to lock up in a panic stop regardless, so larger aftermarket brakes would only be worth it if you are racing the car and are concerned about brake fade.

The above comments are just suggestions for your car, and the only reason I offered them up is because you asked. These cars were pushed hard while in-service, so on a daily driver you really don't have to go crazy with mods.

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 10-06-2012, 08:04 PM

That's a sweet notch, try to keep it as stock as possible. Mavro-Mont had planned to produce a 17 inch 10 hole wheel but the idea was scrapped. As for the 351, you have 3 problems...legality, hood clearance, and fuel efficiency. For a DD, consider a stock roller short block with a cam, heads, and intake. Will make a healthy 370+ hp depending on parts selection.
Right now, I'm building a '90 SSP that will look like a stock SSP from the outside but has a 306 with a TKO. Went back to the stock 4 lug brakes to keep 10 holes on her. There is nothing wrong with the stock brakes, if you know how to drive the car properly. I used to drive mine on the street/freeway with skinnies up front and cheater slicks out back. Just took it easy and kept my distances.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28HopUp View Post
Hi Tyler. Welcome to the forum! Thanks for the pictures. We will get your car added to our VIN Project shortly.

Be careful what you ask for! IMO, a SSP Mustang makes for an OK daily driver (not good or even great). Personally, I like my DD to have airbags, ABS, and other safety features found on modern automobiles. That being said, I know some hot rod car-guys who regularly drive some really neat, old cars. But there are risks in doing that: accidents (destroying not only the car but possibly hurting the occupants), damage, theft, ect. Since you already own your 84 and want to drive it, I suggest the following:
  • Paint - since you live in California, do NOT paint the roof and doors white with a black body. You will get stopped and the hassle is not worth it. A member here in California repainted his 85 CHP in black with a white roof - it looked great, it honored the car's history, and he avoided getting in trouble with the police.
  • CHP Equipment - You can add the antennae and lights, but the lights must be covered at all times. I keep mine disconnected too while driving, should I have to answer any questions on the side of the road after being stopped. Police markings MUST be covered up or removed while driving.
  • Engine - You can have hood clearance issues with the 351, depending on the parts selection. There are so many choices for building a nice 5.0L that you should probably stick with that. I wouldn't go crazy with mods; keep things simple.
  • Suspension - The factory 87-up 4-lug front brakes are an upgrade in performance, but you will have to run newer style wheels. My 1st 85 SSP has them, in addition to 93 Cobra disk brakes. The car stops nicely compared to the OEM set-up, but I must use 10-hole wheels (painted black). IMO, a 5-lug swap isn't worth it. The brakes are going to lock up in a panic stop regardless, so larger aftermarket brakes would only be worth it if you are racing the car and are concerned about brake fade.

The above comments are just suggestions for your car, and the only reason I offered them up is because you asked. These cars were pushed hard while in-service, so on a daily driver you really don't have to go crazy with mods.
I really appreciate your advice!
I did read it, but never responded.

I'm thinking of the all black with white top, but paint the c-pillars white too.
I'm not sure if the white c-pillars are going to keep me away from being pulled over, but seems to be working for the Geek Squad.

Yeah, I really not worried about doing any motor swaps for a while.
I though the 351 would be a good option, just because it's the sam as a 302 but slightly larger. I've been driving 302's for years and years, and I really seem them as great motors. I'm kinda on the fence on that one, more if a further thought.

Yeah, I would like to upgrade the front spindles/hub, struts and control arms to the 87-93 range. I would also like to replace the 7.5" rear end, with a 8.8.

Yes, the equipment wouldn’t be setup. That wouldn’t be good for a SSP on the street. I would put covers on all the lights, maybe not the front spot lights, but everything else.

Some of these ideas were prior to me knowing I had a SSP mustang, and was just thinking outloud.

I understand what you're saying though.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:11 PM
Bobby Edwards

Glad you decided to stay...please post progress pics as you go, Thanks and good luck with the project.

1983 GSP#3083 Capt. C. Stallings #99 Post 41

1988 GSP#8292 Trpr R. Wilcox #799 Post 27; ACE wrecked in service with 24k miles; most documented & lowest mileage GSP

1990 GSP#0196 Trpr P. Kirkpatrick #756 Post 29

1992 GSP#2221 Trpr M. Prince #895 Post 9; “1 of 6” LoJack GSP Mustangs