Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Special Service Mustangs For Sale
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Special Service Mustangs For Sale Any and all SSP Mustangs.

Old 05-08-2008, 04:19 PM
The White Fred Sanford

Default 1989 Considering selling my FHP project

I am considering letting go of my 1989 FHP Mustang. I bought the car with intent to restore it but I have SO many projects right now I just don't know when I'll get to it. I have collected some parts for it and put them aside for the restoration which are included with the car. This was a marked in service car. This car has the VASCAR speedometer cables as well and the correct Certified 160mph speedometer. The car is also equipped with the oil cooler.

What I have done since I bought the car(parts and otherwise):
-replaced deck lid-original had the lock torn out of it....I do not have the single lock key for the trunk
-Calipers were missing...installed calipers and got brakes working
-both front seats were gone when I got the car-picked up a pair of blue ones(they would have had to be recovered anyway)
-Dash has holes cut for gauges....I have another uncut dash for the car
-The car came with a 4 cylinder T5 trans(out of the car but which is in the car now)....I bought a date correct 1989 V8 T5 transmission-worked fine but high mile so it should be gone through but not torn up.
-I bought and restored a Jetsonic lightbar with new lenses and domes & speaker/siren...also located an NOS set of mounting brackets for the Mustang(NOT EASY TO FIND!!!)
-I picked up the correct spotlight...used, and an NOS A pillar mount for the spotlight
-I purchased a set of reproduction decals for the car.
-picked up an NOS tan fuse panel cover
-picked up one NOS tan speaker grill for one of the door panels
-Have a pair of NOS FORD headlight lenses(not the cheap offshore reproductions)
-I also have other misc parts for the car including 3 original used Goodyear Gatorback tires.

The car needs paint and general restoration.....I did get it running after I first purchased it but have not started it since. I have a Carfax report at home for it and it shows an accident while it was in service. I do not know what Unit number it is and have not even tried to research it. I will probably try to get it running again as it would be easier for me to move around here and load on a trailer....just haven't had time up to this point.

I WILL NOT part this car out...don't ask me for the VASCAR cables or anything else....these cars should be restored and not parted and I won't do that to this one which is why I am putting a feeler out here and will not list it on Ebay Where someone will buy it to make a hot rod out of.

I am thinking $3500 firm for the car and all the parts that go with it....you can't find a car to restore and buy these parts for that kind of money. I was initially thinking more but that is what I would let it go for to this group.

This picture is old but it looks about the same...I have a hood, it is just not on the car in this picture.

Old 05-08-2008, 06:06 PM

Good luck with the sale. It seems like everybody is thinning their herd.
http://public.fotki.com/predator2020/
Old 05-08-2008, 06:53 PM
The White Fred Sanford

Well I don't really "want" to sell it but just being realistic in how long it will be before I have time to get to it and it would be better off with someone who doesn't have as many irons in the fire as I do.....I've had people come by the shop and want to buy it but their intention is to hot rod it with no concern for what it is so I have refused to sell it to them so far.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:41 AM
The White Fred Sanford

As an update....the car is running/driving now...the fuel pump was bad so I replaced it. I also had forgotten that I installed an off road H-pipe and Flowmasters on it...Not stock but it was what I had handy at the time.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:53 PM

In regards to "thinning" the herd one needs to remember that if you sell it now.....it will cost more later when you want it again. I know that with the way SSP prices have climbed over the past five years I am glad I have my cars put away awaiting restoration.

for the first time since 1998 there is only two left:

1984 Oregon SP unmarked
1986 Idaho SP
Old 05-16-2008, 06:42 AM
The White Fred Sanford

While that is true there comes a time when you realize you have just too many projects. I sold a '65 Fastback 5 years ago because I had 2...I replaced it with a '67 GT Fastback and have not regretted it other than the fact that values have soared on those early fastbacks....however, I already have one SSP that I enjoy and another while a different department is duplication and I have so many other projects it is unrealistic to think that I will get to it anytime soon. I spend most of my time building cars for others so my time on my own is severly limited. I already have enough projects for 2 lifetimes and I just picked up 4 more vintage Mustangs. My collection is pretty diverse among Ford & Mercury products.

But this is a feeler and that I "would" sell the car....but now that it's running I may just start driving it a bit. It would make a great project for someone but the longer I have it and find a few minutes here and there to tinker with it, the more expensive it's going to get. You never know...I might get a wild hair and you might see it at the 45th anniversary show painted and marked with a sale sign in the window....but it will be a far cry from $3500...:lol:.

I'm waiting for a Marti report on one of the cars I just picked up but it's an interesting one....appears to be a standard '67 Coupe...S code, so it is a 390 4V Automatic that is white with a white vinyl top, standard interior, no A/C, manual drum brakes and manual steering. I've never seen an early Mustang that was white with a white vinyl roof and to be an S code yet not a GT is on the rare side so it seems like an oddball but we'll see what the marti report comes back with.
Old 05-16-2008, 11:34 AM

how about posting a pic of the old Mustangs!
Old 09-26-2009, 12:12 PM
The White Fred Sanford

Update.....I've been offered more than this from locals who want to build a drag car but I refuse to see this car hacked up into a race car. I am offering for sale here WITHOUT all the spare parts I've collected...this is just the car. I've replaced the fuel pump and it does run with a good battery. The Unit number is 1329. Once the car is sold I will sell off the parts I collected that I can't use elsewhere. Price for the car alone is $1600 firm...I turned down $2K to a couple of racers but if it doesn't sell to someone who will restore it I may have no other choice. I'd really prefer to see this car go to someone who will restore it back to in service condition. I have WAY too many projects and it's time to scale back and thin the herd so I can concentrate on a couple rather than all I have.

Located near Birmingham, Alabama.
Old 09-26-2009, 02:39 PM
It is what it is.

If you do go that route I might be intrested in the lightbar and controller for my '88 FHP...it is the last major piece I need.

1990 NMSP Unit 130 SOLD
1989 WSP SOLD
1988 FHP SOLD
1991 FHP SOLD
1993 TX DPS
Old 09-26-2009, 02:52 PM

PM sent.
1985 SVO T-top car 2R
1985 SVO 4E
1966 GT Vert