Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Members' SSPs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Members' SSPs A place to post up pics of your SSP, whether restored, in-progress, or somewhere in-between.

Old 09-24-2011, 11:33 PM

Default 1987 WSP SSP Mustang (710 WSP) - Unit #16-7-014

I purchased my 87 WSP SSP in 2006. Was my "first" SSP and always had planned on restoring it when the funding/time was right.

Today, I drove the car down to The Fox Shoppe (http://thefoxshoppe.com/) in Portland, OR. Jimmy (owner) works wonders on the cars in his shop and is totally committed to fox bodies. Saw his work in April when I bought the 85 CHP from him and knew I'd be in good hands. Really nice guy to boot.

When I arrived, I saw HK500's GSP car out front. Jimmy chuckled and said that he'd be doing 2 resto jobs at the same time - first time he's had 2 SSPs in for paint at once. (Which, by the way - HK500's car is sweet looking!)

My car is affectionately named "Ugly Betty" as it had a hideous orange hood when I first bought it and had picked it up around the time that the TV show was on the air - name seemed to fit.

The car has 105K original miles and has full documentation from the WSP. Many may remember that this car was reunited with it's trooper a few years ago. And, it's one of the few SSPs that had a full Setina partition cage in it while in-service.

Jimmy and his crew will be giving it a full paint job, will be working to restore the door/window seals and refinishing the quarter windows. The car lives up to it's namesake - it's UGLY right now. Drives great, but looks like heck.

I'll post up pics of it as the build progresses. We think it will be punched out in the next 3-4 weeks (depending on how much time it takes).

Sadly (for me), once I get the car done, I will be prepping it for sale. I love this car. But, have too many - and it's time for me to pass the torch along to the next person. More on that later. I figured I owe Betty the decency of fixing her up before we part ways. She deserves it given the life she's led up until now.

Stay tuned...

Pics will be posted at:
http://s1090.photobucket.com/albums/...SP-Ugly-Betty/

Dropoff at the shop:

Before spotlight/side moldings were removed:
Old 09-25-2011, 12:27 AM
Addicted to CHPs/SSPs

That guy has my dream side job- restoring only foxes. My dream job is to join the CHP.
Car looks awesome just like it is I like the spot light too. IMO I would keep this one and sell the other, unless the other is a lot more special that this one.

Sam-
1985 CHP #8337
CHP Motor Transport Mustangs
Old 09-25-2011, 11:05 AM

Ryan, congrats on the start of BETTY's transformation.. She will B a
BEAUTY again..

1992 PO.Oregon Police, Bimini Blue, Unit #85655,
Plate #SMY174 Unmarked, Served Central,North,
East Precinct until Aug 2000.
1988 Colorado State Patrol,Unit #246,DSO 76, Glenwood Springs CO.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Kid View Post
IMO I would keep this one and sell the other, unless the other is a lot more special that this one.
I have an exact twin to Betty that has all the equipment in it from day 1 (never uninstalled). I refer to the other car as "Old Joe" as it was owned by Joe Forsman while he was the Chief of Police for Nisqually PD. Joe bought his car directly from the WSP with all the gear intact to use with the PD. When he retired from the PD - they sold him the car, completely intact as it sat. Joe sold it to a friend and I bought it from him.

Joe was a salty old character - great guy who shared more than a few stories over weekend coffee meetups. Joe died last year - so I feel that it's more of an honor/memorial to keep that car instead. It was also Marlin Workman's car while with the WSP - which is seen in several in-service pics.

Mix in the 2 PCSD cars and the 85 CHP - My shop is beyond full. Did I mention I have 2 B4Cs as well?
Old 09-25-2011, 01:38 PM

good to see you getting the process started ryan.

Be sure to keep an eye out for the elusive WSP radio.

for the first time since 1998 there is only two left:

1984 Oregon SP unmarked
1986 Idaho SP
Old 09-25-2011, 02:12 PM

Great story and nice to see you're going to get the paint portion done right before selling it.

1992 Michigan State Police SSP Mustang #5114
1993 Wisconsin State Patrol SSP Mustang
1993 Missouri State Highway Patrol SSP Mustang P641

http://members.fotki.com/MOstang/
Old 09-25-2011, 10:48 PM

I always love to watch the progress of one being restored at this stage. Best of luck. Keep us posted on the work and the eventual sale.

Didn't you need a radar unit for one of your cars? I thought I had posted that I think I might have what you need but it needs some restoration. Let me know.

Greg
1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS B4C, Unit # 360 (Colorado State Patrol) **SOLD BACK TO CSP**
1996 Bronco XL 5.8L (California Highway Patrol)
Old 09-25-2011, 11:51 PM

I actually found a WSP GE control head for sale a while back - was rougher than the one I have, but authentic. Jim, I will see if I can find info and PM you back.

As for the radar, the WSP has been liquidating all of their Kustom Trooper setups locally through surplus for $75-85/each including the carrying case. I picked one up - and thanks for remembering.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:31 PM

Pre-prep photos are up now at:
https://www.facebook.com/#!/media/se...5698012&type=1

Jimmy took out 36 dents yesterday. 36! I had no idea there were that many.

Major dents (hood and driver's rear behind the door) will be prepped later this week. Priming hopefully later in the week/early next.

Wow, I had no idea how dirty the car was under the trim from it being outside for that long before I got it.

Should look really nice when done.

More info as I get it.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:09 PM

Ryan, I was unable to view the pictures on FB...

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!