Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Special Service Mustangs For Sale
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Special Service Mustangs For Sale Any and all SSP Mustangs.

Old 09-24-2007, 10:18 PM

Default 1988 Saleen SSP for sale

1988 Saleen SSP coupe for sale. a very rare car. I left a message for him but he has not returned my call. This car will probably sell quickly.

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/car/430811432.html

1988 Ford Saleen Mustang (Project) W/ New Saleen Parts.
Reply to: sale-430811432@craigslist.org
Date: 2007-09-24, 10:27AM

GREAT OPPORTUNITY!
I finally decided to part with my car - no interest anymore.

This is a 1988 Saleen Ford Mustang - Sedan/Notchback (Original Saleen Edition).
It is 1 of 25 made that year (#393)

1988 Ford Mustang LX Saleen (#393)
History:

This is an original Saleen Mustang that was sold out of Damerow Ford in Beaverton when they were Oregon’s Saleen dealership. In 1988 the Oregon State Police ordered 24 stripped out 5.0L Mustangs for their fleet but Ford shipped 48 to the dealership. Saleen found out about the extra cars and made a deal with Damerow to build 24 Saleen sedans (trunk models) and return them so that all 24 could be sold in Beaverton, OR. This car has the 2 metal OSP tags attached to the radiator support.
Of the 24 cars, all models were white as OSP ordered. 8 of those cars received gold stripes & gold mesh wheels. 8 received blue stripes with white wheels and the remaining 8 had gray & gray. There was 1 black sedan made that year and it was the only planned 2 door coupe prior to the double order in Oregon. I know that 1 of the blue striped cars was destroyed in 1990.
I bought this car (gray & gray) in 1989 as the second owner. It had 12,000 miles on it at the time. It was my daily driver for 10 years and now sits with roughly 154,000 miles on the odometer. The title is clear and in my possession (somewhere). In 2000 I hit the back bumper of a pickup at about 10 MPH and bent the hood, fender, & bumper – front driver’s side corner. I replaced all of those parts with fresh body panels from a black LX & bought a 3” cowl fiberglass hood. 6 months later the hood came unlatched at 45 MPH and flipped up, bending the sheetmetal in front of the windshield. I parked the car in the garage that day and never drove it again.
The engine longblock was pulled out along with the factory T-5 transmission (5-speed manual). The plan was to have the bodywork fixed to original and then build a better roller cam motor. I also intended to install a new Tremec 5-speed because the 150,000 mile T-5 had seen enough. As it sits right now there is no motor or transmission. All of the factory accessories are in storage under my workbench. I have most of the bolts, nuts and small parts bagged & labeled and I also kept detailed notes & diagrams as I disassembled the engine – they go with the car. It has a stock hood from a gray LX but the car needs to be repainted Oxford White again.
See the list below for Saleen equipment in/on the car and the condition.

I also have the following equipment that goes with the car!
Saleen Mustang #88-0393

• Ground effects: The original front & rear fascias and both side skirts have been removed and partially sanded to repair rock chips etc. They are intact and pliable but require new 3M double sided tape & fresh paint.
• Rear wing: The wing is still on the car. Some of the paint flaked off from the underside during car washings and cannot be seen. I would pull it for the repaint and reseal it to the car.
• Decals: I have a complete new set of the 3-stripe ground effects decals which are light, medium, and dark gray. I also have 2-“Racecraft Suspension” decals for the fenders, 302 decals for the hood, the SALEEN decklid emblem and a new SALEEN windshield graphic & - just in( the NOS dash emblem- Saleen Mustang)
• Front Bumper Filler: I bought this rare item on eBay for just shy of $100.00. It attaches to the front bumper to fill in the molding strip & cover the LX “Mustang” imprint. These are no longer made and this one has never been installed or painted – comes with tape.
• MOMO: The original MOMO steering wheel is in the car & I also have the short throw shifter handle & MOMO shift knob in storage. Neither of these items are made anymore and I’ve seen both go for over $200.00 each on eBay when they can be located.
• Flofit Seats: The rear seat is in great shape. The passenger seat is in good condition but the side reclining handle was sticking during the last year of use. The driver side seat is ripped at 2 seams and is stuck in recline mode. They are all gray cloth with red bead outline.
• Inner Door Panels: Gray cloth with Saleen Mustang embroidery.
• Badges: The car has the Saleen Autosport engine bay plaque and the plastic badge at the shifter boot bezel, both indicating that the car is #88-0393. This car even has the original OSP twin metal tags screwed to the radiator support.
• Wheels: These are very rare ARE (American Racing) mesh wheels that were built for Saleen from 85-88. Saleens are 5 lug converted & have 4 wheel disc brakes.
• I also have a set of Saleen aluminum pedals – never installed.
• EXTRAS: I believe I have control arms (upper & lower I think) and some other miscellaneous add ons that go with the car.

First $2,500 get everything. I will take the best offer over $2K if no one buys it at $2,500. I could part it out and make at least that but I'd rather not destroy an original Saleen, especially one this rare.
I've owned this car since 1989 & it's been garaged for the last 6+ years waiting to be reborn. I don't have the time or energy to rebuild this one & have decided to do what I said I would never do - sell this car.
I have no pictures of what the car looked like completed (was prior to me going digital). I can get current photos & send to individuals that are interested.

Reply via e-mail or call.(serious only)
Not selling parts - only the entire rig w/ Saleen gear.
503-310-4246. Obviously no test (roll) possible.

This item has been posted by-owner.
it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

Original URL: http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/car/430811432.html
-------------------------------------------------
this craigslist posting was forwarded to you by someone using our
email-a-friend feature - if you want to prevent these, please go to:
http://www.craigslist.org/cgi-bin/t...jNoFWeu82bt92Ya

for the first time since 1998 there is only two left:

1984 Oregon SP unmarked
1986 Idaho SP
Old 09-24-2007, 11:10 PM

neat car.
i hope you get it and restore it
Old 09-25-2007, 12:35 AM

I fowarded the ad to my Dad. He is 66 years old and allways wanted a Saleen. This would be a great project for him..
Old 09-26-2007, 02:38 AM

Was watching the ad, he raised the price and added some small pics this afternoon and then removed it later.. guessing it sold- anyone here get it??

REPOST OF AD WITH PICS BEFORE HE REMOVED IT-----

1988 Ford Saleen Mustang (Project) W/ New Saleen Parts.
Reply to:
Date: 2007-09-24, 10:27AM

I HATE TO DO THIS BUT--- IT LOOKS LIKE THE CURRENT OFFER IS $3,500.00 (I have at least 18 e-mail replies & 10+ phone messages to respond to.) (I am adding a couple of photos to the ad for reference.) GREAT OPPORTUNITY!
I finally decided to part with my car - no interest anymore.

This is a 1988 Saleen Ford Mustang - Sedan/Notchback (Original Saleen Edition).
It is 1 of 25 made that year (#393)

1988 Ford Mustang LX Saleen (#393)
History:

This is an original Saleen Mustang that was sold out of Damerow Ford in Beaverton when they were Oregon’s Saleen dealership. In 1988 the Oregon State Police ordered 24 stripped out 5.0L Mustangs for their fleet but Ford shipped 48 to the dealership. Saleen found out about the extra cars and made a deal with Damerow to build 24 Saleen sedans (trunk models) and return them so that all 24 could be sold in Beaverton, OR. This car has the 2 metal OSP tags attached to the radiator support.
Of the 24 cars, all models were white as OSP ordered. 8 of those cars received gold stripes & gold mesh wheels. 8 received blue stripes with white wheels and the remaining 8 had gray & gray. There was 1 black sedan made that year and it was the only planned 2 door coupe prior to the double order in Oregon. I know that 1 of the blue striped cars was destroyed in 1990.
I bought this car (gray & gray) in 1989 as the second owner. It had 12,000 miles on it at the time. It was my daily driver for 10 years and now sits with roughly 154,000 miles on the odometer. The title is clear and in my possession (somewhere). In 2000 I hit the back bumper of a pickup at about 10 MPH and bent the hood, fender, & bumper – front driver’s side corner. I replaced all of those parts with fresh body panels from a black LX & bought a 3” cowl fiberglass hood. 6 months later the hood came unlatched at 45 MPH and flipped up, bending the sheetmetal in front of the windshield. I parked the car in the garage that day and never drove it again.
The engine longblock was pulled out along with the factory T-5 transmission (5-speed manual). The plan was to have the bodywork fixed to original and then build a better roller cam motor. I also intended to install a new Tremec 5-speed because the 150,000 mile T-5 had seen enough. As it sits right now there is no motor or transmission. All of the factory accessories are in storage under my workbench. I have most of the bolts, nuts and small parts bagged & labeled and I also kept detailed notes & diagrams as I disassembled the engine – they go with the car. It has a stock hood from a gray LX but the car needs to be repainted Oxford White again.
See the list below for Saleen equipment in/on the car and the condition.

I also have the following equipment that goes with the car!
Saleen Mustang #88-0393

• Ground effects: The original front & rear fascias and both side skirts have been removed and partially sanded to repair rock chips etc. They are intact and pliable but require new 3M double sided tape & fresh paint.
• Rear wing: The wing is still on the car. Some of the paint flaked off from the underside during car washings and cannot be seen. I would pull it for the repaint and reseal it to the car.
• Decals: I have a complete new set of the 3-stripe ground effects decals which are light, medium, and dark gray. I also have 2-“Racecraft Suspension” decals for the fenders, 302 decals for the hood, the SALEEN decklid emblem and a new SALEEN windshield graphic & - just in( the NOS dash emblem- Saleen Mustang)
• Front Bumper Filler: I bought this rare item on eBay for just shy of $100.00. It attaches to the front bumper to fill in the molding strip & cover the LX “Mustang” imprint. These are no longer made and this one has never been installed or painted – comes with tape.
• MOMO: The original MOMO steering wheel is in the car & I also have the short throw shifter handle & MOMO shift knob in storage. Neither of these items are made anymore and I’ve seen both go for over $200.00 each on eBay when they can be located.
• Flofit Seats: The rear seat is in great shape. The passenger seat is in good condition but the side reclining handle was sticking during the last year of use. The driver side seat is ripped at 2 seams and is stuck in recline mode. They are all gray cloth with red bead outline.
• Inner Door Panels: Gray cloth with Saleen Mustang embroidery.
• Badges: The car has the Saleen Autosport engine bay plaque and the plastic badge at the shifter boot bezel, both indicating that the car is #88-0393. This car even has the original OSP twin metal tags screwed to the radiator support.
• Wheels: These are very rare ARE (American Racing) mesh wheels that were built for Saleen from 85-88. Saleens are 5 lug converted & have 4 wheel disc brakes.
• I also have a set of Saleen aluminum pedals – never installed.
• EXTRAS: I believe I have control arms (upper & lower I think) and some other miscellaneous add ons that go with the car.

First $2,500 get everything. I will take the best offer over $2K if no one buys it at $2,500. I could part it out and make at least that but I'd rather not destroy an original Saleen, especially one this rare.
I've owned this car since 1989 & it's been garaged for the last 6+ years waiting to be reborn. I don't have the time or energy to rebuild this one & have decided to do what I said I would never do - sell this car.
I have no pictures of what the car looked like completed (was prior to me going digital). I can get current photos & send to individuals that are interested.

Reply via e-mail or call.(serious only)
Not selling parts - only the entire rig w/ Saleen gear.
Obviously no test (roll) possible.

This item has been posted by-owner.
it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg saleen-rf.jpeg (6.4 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpeg saleen-rear.jpeg (7.4 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpeg saleen-lr.jpeg (7.5 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpeg saleen-cowl.jpeg (6.3 KB, 65 views)
1984 SVO - Project
1969 Mach1 390 S-Code
1966 Mustang Coupe w/ 351w
Old 09-26-2007, 04:39 PM

He's back again-

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/car/432668023.html
1984 SVO - Project
1969 Mach1 390 S-Code
Old 09-30-2007, 11:31 PM

Now listed on e-bay- would have been nice if he would have pushed it out of garage for the pics.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1988-...QQcmdZViewItem
1984 SVO - Project
1969 Mach1 390 S-Code
Old 09-30-2007, 11:45 PM
Admin

Be interesting to see where it ends up.

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363
Old 11-01-2007, 10:30 AM
Troop D

Wow... that was a pretty penny for a shell. Guess the fact it was limmited and Saleen made the difference.

Why police should not pursue Stangs...
Why you should not get caught by the police in your Stang...
Old 09-01-2010, 12:41 PM

Default This 88-0393 sale

This info is for anyone that still reads this post. Sorry that it took so long for me to find it but I'm the guy that posted the ad and sold this car. I actually had a person call me this week after reading this thread, wanting to know if I still had it for sale (3 years later). Here is the info about that sale.

I owned that car for a long time and it sat for several years waiting for restoration. I never had the time and decided to try to sell it. I put it up on Craigslist in Portland,OR and was not expecting many responses. I figured it would be burried and off of the page in a few hours.

In less than 24 hours I had 62 replies, about 1/2 by phone and the other 1/2 by email. The first appointment was for a Saleen club president from Seattle to come down the following day. I stuck to that appointment since he was driving so far. That pissed a lot of people off since they claimed to be able to beat him to my doorstep, which wouldn't have been right. There were so many calls and e-mails that I couldn't get to them all and each one that I did contact got bent out of shape when I didn't cave to their pressure.

The 1st appointment came and went and the Saleen president passed on buying it at $2,500. He said over and over that he was going to kick himself once he left but he let it slip away. The flood of replies and arguing with people was too much so I had to pull it down. There was no way of selling it without being the bad guy so I announced that it would go up on eBay to make things fair and give everyone a shot. I started it at $2500 and got out of the way.

The pissed off Craigslist hoard flagged the ad as quick as they could and ditched my announcement of placing it on eBay. I didn't pull it down the 2nd time, the flaggers did to get even and my explanation was short lived.

In the end, eBay was the only fair way to let people have a chance at buying it. The Craigslist callers were trying to outbid others anyway by offering "$3,000? $3,500?". It was absolutely crazy and I ended up with a lot of flak. I got over $7K for the car and it went to a Ford enthusiast family from Medford, OR. They sent pictures earlier this year and it has been restored to the last piece.

I've owned 2 other Saleens and now have an 09 Shelby GT500. Mustangs rule! If you were one of those people that replied to my ad and I couldn't get back to you, now you know what happened. Sorry.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Saleen0393 View Post
have an 09 Shelby GT500. Mustangs rule!

yes they do +1

for the first time since 1998 there is only two left:

1984 Oregon SP unmarked
1986 Idaho SP